DXF Export-Options

Hey,
can anybody please explain the different export formats for dxf in rhino?
As there are:

• standard
  • 2007 line
  • 2007 polyline
  • 2007 originally
  • 2007 solid
  • CAM Imperial
  • CAM Metric
  • R12 line and arc
  • R12 solid

What´s they differnces. My problem:
I sent files to my Laser-Partner and they can´t work with my DXF-Files out of Rhino.
Can anybody help?
THX

Some of it is explained here in the help:

https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/acadschemes.htm?Highlight=dxf

If you actually open the options box during export by pressing the Edit button in the dialog, you will see all the different options - the different “schemes” are simply sets of saved option combinations. You can also create your own personalized schemes.

The main question to be asking here is this:

“Can’t work with” is unfortunately not precise enough to be able to give you any good advice. What is actually going wrong? What do they see on their end that isn’t working? You will need to ask them those questions. There are hundreds of different laser cutting machines, controls and software systems, each with their own quirks and requirements. That’s why all the different export options exist. You just need to figure out with your laser supplier which ones they need.

1 Like

OK, this is a little Star. But i don´t know what CAM Imperial and CAM Metric means …
Also the problems is, that my laser supplier doesn´t know that differnt dxf formats exists.
May be a problem is, that i draw eg a cirkle and save it as dxf the dxf file makes very much points out of the cirkle. My supplier can open the file but than his laser-program (for trumpf laser) has a break down. Same problem with text …

Those are ages-old settings that have just been left in there… Imperial means inch.

This is good, precise information. What that means for circles is that you are using one of the export schemes that turns arcs into polylines like below -

The “curve tesseleation parameters” tell Rhino how to break up arcs, circles and splines into short line segments for systems that can’t handle them. You might want to still do this for splines, but not for arcs and circles.

My suggestion is for you to create your own export scheme. Start with 2007 Natural and do a SaveAs and give it your own name.

The first three entries will probably be OK, most likely you will need to change the “Curves” entry to Polylines if your laser cutter can’t deal with splines. You might also need to tweak your curve tessellation parameters.

You will need to work with your laser cutter to find the best settings, it will take some experimentation.

If you are using splines (free-form curves) - you mention ‘text’ - you can also try converting those to arcs within tolerance first in Rhino using the Convert command and selecting arcs as output. Check the Help item on Convert for more details.

2 Likes

Hey Helvetosaur,
and this is a very good tipp!
THX for that!

I am trying to get the best options for Trumpf laser software. Is anyone using Rhino 3d to laser cut with a Trumpf Laser Cutter and Trumpfboost software. Just need to find the best dxf settings.

I am having a lot of problems exporting from Rhino to Trumpf boost software. It does not like the lines and curves…here is file and trumpf feedback…
2_Pan_230810.3dm (296.1 KB)

Hello- hard to help without some idea what the problem is…

-Pascal

That’s because you are exporting higher degree curves than lines, arcs, and circles. DXF/DWG has no provision for NURBS curves so they are approximated with segmented polylines.

G-Code supports three movements, a line between two coordinates, a clockwise arc, and an anti-clockwise arc.

However, before you save it out, you need to convert the curvy lines (not lines, circles, and arcs, but everything else), to chains of arc segments

Use the Convert command to make arcs.

• *Set the Angle tolerance to zero to disable it.

• Then use the Tolerance to control how far you are comfortable with allowing the chain of arcs to pull away from your NURBS curves.

The dots on the preview will show you the arc converting will replace your NURBS curve.

Then when you Export to DXF, use the CAM Imperial export scheme for inches and CAM Metric for millimeters. Both of these export simple geometry as lines and circles.

Always check your DXF file by opening it in Rhino before you send it for cutting to make sure it looks good.

Another option is to export using the IGES file format. Nearly all CAM applications support curves through IGES. Choose an appropriate IGES export option configuration for your CAM application.

Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks yes maybe I did not explain it too good. Basically I am drawing a project in rhino 3d. The drawing looks fine in Rhino all curves closed… purged layers…everything on ground plane in top viewport.
When the drawing comes into the trumpf boost software it shows up open curves and broken lines and even some bits that I have already deleted are still there in the drawing…
I am trying to find out the best options for DXF exporting for laser.
The type of line, arc or polyline the machine likes and having to avoid costly clean up time at fab shop…

That’s the basic problem!

This might be helpful:
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/exporttolaser

Hello- does trumph want only polylines, or are arcs OK?

-Pascal

From Trumpf…
“It has to be single lines, circles or polygon lines”

This is very helpful Thanks. I will try some samples and am also getting a perfect fit file from Trumpf to analyse…