Displacement Antialiasing


#1

Hi,

I’m trying to displace a mesh with a jpeg texture but the edges are really rough. I’ve rebuilt the render mesh and a maximum edge length of 1 and everything else is zeroed out.

I’ve tried adding a blur to the image or using a higher resolution version but it doesn’t seem to do much. any tips?


(Brian James) #2

Hi Owen,

It sounds like you may have seen this video already but just in case…

I would suggest increasing the mesh detail settings in the displacement object property. If that doesn’t help, please post the image you are using or the 3dm and I’ll take a look.


#3

Yeah I did watch that. It was quite helpful. I’ve tried adjusting the mesh detail settings it crashes when I go above high. Here’s one of the textures I’m using.


(Brian James) #4

Do you mean you get prompted in the command line that the ‘mesh memory limit is hit’ or that Rhino crashes? If it’s the former, increase your memory usage in the advanced settings of the displacement modifier. I generally don’t go above the very high setting as most issues can be accounted for by way of the render mesh on the object and the image itself.

I’ll try a displacement with your image now… back in a moment.


(Brian James) #5

So here’s one way to do this…

  • resampled the texture
  • increased the mesh memory limit
  • increased the density
  • split the whole image up into four separate displacements. I first set it up as one though with a planar texture map and then split by isocurve. The original UV map is maintained for all the pieces.

The last bit is how you can stretch the capabilities of mesh displacement in Rhino. I would ultimately use only a portion of the image (like just a single cross surrounded by a flat area) and then extract and pattern that piece. this is more efficient than trying to keep the whole displacement as one super dense mesh.

Disp_sample.3dm (1.4 MB)


#6

I’m on a 32bit install at the moment and it can’t handle the file. I’ll have to try it later on a faster machine