Direct modelling tools similar to NX

I’ve been using NX a lot for my clients recently. The NX interface is a mess, but there are several tools that I have become addicted to. Rhino does some pretty advanced stuff, so it doesnt seem like that much of a stretch for these tools to be added to Rhino. They are what a Creo user would call direct modeling tools and would fall into what a Rhino user would call solid modelling tools.

• Move face: Rhino has this, but the adjacent faces adapt with the moved face. The NX tool does not do this. The adjacent faces remain the same, only the intersections move. Super useful. 90% of my NX work is probably just this one tool.
  • Offset face: Very similar to Move face, but is more convenient when you know exactly how far the face needs to move.
  • Replace face: Replaces one face with another face or surface
  • Deletes a face or faces and fills in the hole where they were.

NX has tons of tools like this, but with these four tools you can do most of the work.

NX is parametric, but the way it works is so finicky and unpredictable that I blow away the history as soon as I am done with a body. I essentially use it like Rhino.

5 Likes

You don’t know how to work with NX, how do you say it’s messed up?
It’s funny
lol
I have been working with NX for a long time and have never encountered any problems
It has very good commands, especially its prediction command

3 Likes

I would love to see those tools in rhino.

1 Like

Rhino50

1 Like

Hi Andrew -

That one is in Rhino 8.
As for the others, you’ll probably have to provide more information and possibly a 3dm file that shows the start and end points of the workflow.
-wim

1 Like

Yeah, nah…
let’s just agree to disagree about that one…
(Here the surface is moved with the gumball)

Push Pull odd kink.3dm (317.3 KB)

3 Likes

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-75015/PushPull-creates-non-manifold-geometry

1 Like

Have you discovered synchronous resize fillet yet? (If you’re importing from Rhino, you may need to use the Optimize tool first for it to recognize the fillets as blends.)

I wouldn’t hold my breath for any of those tools in Rhino, unfortunately.

There’s actually a mode in NX to work completely “unparametric” (ie without history) and Siemens attempted to remove it in a recent version update, and the backlash was so severe they had to reinstate it in the next version! :rofl:

1 Like

Historymodelingmode
Historyfreemodelingmode

2 Likes

Its true, I don’t know NX that well. I did, however spend a good chunk of the last two years working with a bunch of ex-Apple guys who are all pretty good. They’re the ones who encouraged me to drop my old Creo/Solidworks habits and just rely on NX’s direct modeling tools. NX’s direct modelling tools are pretty awesome and it is great to have parametric abilities too. I love that remove parameters tool though. The NX interface seems to have been designed by a bunch of sadists. There are way more cool tools than the ones I listed (resize blend), but I chose those four because I use them more than anything else and they seemed pretty easy to implement in Rhino.

1 Like

Plasticity also has some of NX features with lower Price

1 Like

Plasticity looks nice

1 Like

We all wish we had it in Rhino too, but unfortunately we don’t have it

Don’t expect having this feature in the next 10 years as Rhino kernel can’t be compared to parasolid Kernel

2 Likes

@Mehraneftekari Some but not all of what you are showing can be done in Rhino. The first with _Untrim
The new PushPull functionality in V8 can get what you show in the last example in a couple PushPulls in Extend mode.
untrim_pushpull_extend

As @user992 said, Rhino is not based on Parasolid.

4 Likes

I know that I posted this issue only for more information

1 Like

this should absolutely be fixed because its quite simple example

1 Like

might have a look at nx’s price tag for a reality check

1 Like

But isn’t this a basic feature of every solid modeling software? Like you could just use Fusion 360 for this. So it’s not a pricing thing in the end.

Like it has been said Rhino is not based on Parasolid. These type of features are and probably always will be second to the solid modelers.

1 Like

Please let’s not use this price difference to justify or even casually imply that it is acceptable for Rhino not to address, quickly, the level of modeling atrocities they are shipping today.

Stuff like this:

Thanks,

G

6 Likes