Dimension Text Placement when outside Dimension Line

I have been able to move the text in these examples to where I want them (shown in red) but they won’t stay that way. Over the life of the file, they constantly return to the distances Rhino is displaying them. Stability is required here.

EditableDimensionExteriorTextPlacement

I would recommend a default of the text being justified one character’s distance from the nearest extension line. (This would satisfy most cases, in my opinion, as does centring the text on most dimensions.) The external text’s location node needs to be editable as customization for cases where there are elements which would interfere with this default condition; the extended dimension line automatically would move with that node, going only as far as required to underline the text.

The way it operates now is contrary to professional architectural drafting practice in two ways: 1) In pro practice, the text must be as close as possible to the dimension it cites without overlapping another element. 2) The persistently lengthy current external extended dimension line can create distracting meaningless intersections, which a professional keeps to a minimum on a document where the intersections of dimension and extension lines are the crucial components for easy legibility.

Unfortunately the current appearance looks sloppy and careless, and I’ve found no stable way to correct it.

1 Like

I created RH-53019 for this request.
Thanks,
w

This is unbearable for me anymore.

In another thread there was mentioned the vast distance is determined by some formula with variable of tick size.

Only good solution is either one character gap from tick or as below:

Hi Ivan -

I’ve bumped that issue. It seems like it’s only once every second year or so that a users comments on this, so I wouldn’t be spending a lot of time under water…

That formula is in the YT that is linked to…
-wim

thats because many people avoid making drawings in rhino. its a cycle, fewer bugs more features more attention …

if it is just one formula maybe its one line of a code that needs changing :smiley: