Dimension a sketch

Can someone tell me how to dimension a sketch. I’m drawing from other drawing programs a line or a right and then dimensioning. Or I roughly draw a body and then dimension it. Is that also possible in Rhino or do I have to dimension the lines correctly when creating them?

In short yes.
but there are various tools to edit the lines after creating them.

Scaling with the commands or using the Gumball
Edit controlpoints
use the BoxEdit tool

also when adding lines there are many options to enter correct dimensions and orientations.

please ask here if you feel things could be done more efficient, with specific questions we can give answers and tips and tricks for that type of situations.

Does this make sense?

Hi Willem. Yes. I normally draw in Solidworks and Catia. Most of the time you start with a 2D sketch, put the right dimensions and also define the relationships like such as perpendicularity etc and then go to extrude and so on. What I also miss is the feature-tree where i can change for example the extrude-parameter in afterwards and also the sketch from a body afterwards.Are there any good plugins that could help for the beginning?

Hi Rene,

Rhino in its basis is a surface modeler. The paradigm of modeling solids in Rhino is fundamentally different from a parametric solid modeler like SW.

I believe there are some good documents and tutorials to help those coming from SW type modelers to transition to modeling in Rhino. Yet I’m not sure where to find them myself.

Maybe @pascal or @Gijs can give some pointers where to start.

-Willem

1 Like

not sure if I can help you Rene. If you are looking for a feature tree, which I can understand if you’re used to SW and Catia, Rhino might feel as a step backward. I use SW as well, although I spend the most time per day in Rhino. The fact that Rhino has no feature tree has it’s pro’s and cons. You will not be able to work like you are used to in SW/Catia, but Rhino gives you the freedom to work non-restrictively. Especially in a concept phase of a design, Rhino allows more freedom like sketching on paper versus SW or CATIA, where pretty much everything needs to be defined.
I know that people that have a ‘solid modeler mindset’ often need more time to get used to how Rhino works. It depends on the type of work you want to do if Rhino will be your friend or not. But see it as a companion product for the things that are time consuming to do in a feature based modeler. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.
You might want to take a Level 1 course on Rhino to go through the basics. Level 1 training manual is a good start to get the essential basics of working with Rhino.

1 Like

That’s true. I think that has its advantages. Seems like I have to do a beginner turtorial first. Thanks for your answers.