Delete PlaceHolder Component

Hi,

I have already encountered this issue several times for placeholder components.

Is there any way to delete placeholders without copy paste all components to a new file?
I am using Rhino 7 latest release.

1 Like

@DavidRutten can you help answer this one?

It is not at present possible to modify placeholder at all, including deletion. Deleting them is at least in principle possible as it doesn’t actually modify the object, but since the placeholders cannot currently be selected, they also cannot be deleted.

Thanks David for the clarification.

Hello, with this GhPython code we can find PlacehloderComponent with their original names, is it possible to delete them?

missing components.gh (5.2 KB)

Update: It work

Update: this problem solved
grasshopper object expired during solution

Maybe there is a better solution

remove placeholder comp.gh (2.3 KB)

12 Likes

Nice one, thank you.

1 Like

This is another way, you can also use callbacks to delete components.

Remove PlaceholderComp2.gh (2.2 KB)

7 Likes

1 Like

I found that the solution provided by Seghier and Naruto don’t work if the placeholder components are in a cluster.
It took me a while to find these critters…
But if running the delete components in the said cluster, the placeholders do get deleted.

So for those still having error messages after supposedly deleting the placeholders : look in your clusters !

There is another trick i found:
1- Ctrl+A will select everything
2- Unselect the working components
3- Delete placeholder components (which are selected)

23 Likes

For others trying to figure out how to unselect: ctrl + drag window across all canvas will unselect only the working components and leaves the placeholder components selected.

3 Likes

The easiest solution I have found is to lock Grasshopper before opening the script. Since the script doesn’t run the components, it doesn’t realize that they are missing.
Then you can delete them like any other component.

3 Likes

Uhm, maybe I did something wrong, but this isn’t working for me…

1. Lock GH
  2. close script
  3. reopen script
    what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Not sure why, but the workaround posted by @anon39580149 is the easiest way to get rid of any missing components:

3 Likes

Doesn’t work for me.

@DavidRutten I would suggest this as a possible feature-addition to Grasshopper. I can understand the reasoning for including the placeholder, as this is better than just deleting missing components without telling the user, but is there a reason that manual selection/deletion is not allowed?

Finally, it works. Right mouse click. Works with RHINO 8

5 Likes

Thanks for you component, it assists me a lot. :smile: :smile:

1 Like