Ghost components after plugin update

I have a script using components from the Elefront plugin, and it recently updated. When I pulled the update the old components turned into these ghost objects. They can’t be selected, moved, deleted, disconnected etc.
ghost components
Any advice on how to get rid of them? I have them in both V7 and V8.

Thanks, Bathsheba

Select all none missing components, copy them, open a new file, paste the previously copied items onto the new canvas.

Yeah I know, but I don’t have to like it.

1 Like

Are you sure? I’ve right-clicked them and found ‘delete placeholder’ - however it’s one at a time so if there are many I’d do what diff-arch said.

Sure, I don’t like the placeholders either. They are a pest.
Conceptually the idea is fine, however I don’t get why they can’t be simply moved or deleted.

Are you sure? This might be a windows or GH2 only thing?
In the latest version of Rhino for macOS you can’t move them, can’t remove them from groups, and can’t delete them. It’s really such a badly executed, half-baked concept.

1 Like

oh wow, that sucks - yes I am using windows, but it’s regular grasshopper (not version 2) - maybe it’s on Rhino 8 for windows only :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

this was for sure working on R7 around one month ago, and still works on R8 SR3
(8.3.23354.9001, 2023-12-20)

it just deletes all placeholders on the canvas

but be aware, there’s no “undo” :slight_smile:

1 Like

The reason I didn’t find the right-click “delete placeholder” option, is that when the placeholder is in a group that option isn’t there.

Placeholders can’t be removed from groups because they’re not selectable, so it’s necessary to remove the group, delete the placeholder, remake the group.

1 Like

Because some objects need to respond in a custom manner to delete or move actions, and since the object isn’t available to tell Grasshopper if anything out of the ordinary needs to happen I decided initially to make them readonly.

However I think now that was a mistake. The ability to get rid of them is more important than the slight risk of damaging the file.

5 Likes