Cutting Lists generated from Rhino

Hi there,

I’m very new to both Rhino and Grasshopper but have been doing tutorials to try to learn more. This topic relates to this:-Cut lists in rhino . I need to do something very similar to what John originally asked (about 4 years ago ). I’d like to generate simple cutting lists - they just need to have the Rhino component name for a bunch of rectangular extrusions (nearly all are cuboid and they’re the only ones I need) as well as the length, width and thickness of the item. These are kitchen designs normally (done by someone who understands Rhino but not Grasshopper). I’ve tried to modify a grasshopper layout based on above (but can’t even figure out how to make the yellow box appear with the output. In its simplest form, any output on the screen I can cut and paste would work, but ideally, a .csv output would be excellent.

Can anyone just give me a bit of a kick-start please?

Thanks

Ben

The yellow boxes are Text Panels (or just Panels for short). You can use them to view data on screen, and it is fairly easy to copy their contents or even stream those contents to a file on the disk. If you format your data in a CSV compliant way, you can write out these csv files automatically.

The hard part is coming up with the actual data. If you have boxes (either extrusions, or breps that look like cubes/boxes) then you need to collect the edge lengths. There should be at most 3 edge lengths, one for width, one for height and one for depth. If you end up with more than 3, your shape is not a box.

To get these lengths, I recommend getting all 12 edges of the brep, measuring their lengths, rounding these lengths in order to get rid of ‘different’ values like 15.0000000000001 and 14.9999999999998, and then use the [Create Set] component to merge all identical lengths.

Once you have your list of unique edge lengths, you can sort it from small to large. If your box had a square face or was cube-like, you’ll get fewer than 3 unique lengths. This is a problem that may need some further investigation.

If you upload some of these boxes and the desired output, I can give you a more specific solution.

Thanks for your reply David.
This is where I’ve got to with the image of a grasshopper script which does a fair bit of what I need:-

With this I can easily select relevant parts of the drawing and it finds the cuboid shapes and their dimensions. So I end up with 2 lists, one with the name and one with the dimensions. I haven’t found a way to combine these easily yet, but ideally, I’d have something like:-
Order of L, W, D doesn’t matter. There would be one line for each entity. I can easily copy from the yellow box, so doesn’t need to be any more than this.

This seems to work ok. I will only need sizes for components I’ve named, so will be easy to ignore other stuff like curves which I guess will cause it some confusion.

If you could help with the combining of the 2 outputs into the above format, that’d be much appreciated. I’m guessing it’s straightforward, but I haven’t been able to figure it out yet.

This Grasshopper is an amazing tool!

Thanks
Ben