CurveOnSurface?

unhandled

(David Cockey) #1

Will Rhino 6 have the capability to create curves on a surface which are independent of the surface parameterization which is available for Rhino 5 in a Labs plugin? http://wiki.mcneel.com/labs/curveonsurfacev5 Currently it is not available in the WIP.

This is a capability I need for layout planking on boat hulls.

Curve on surface in Rhino 6
(Brian James) #2

It looks like this is on the to do list as http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-32217

@lowell Any chance it could be done for v6?

(Lowell Walmsley) #3

Not sure who might do that. I’m pretty sure I won’t have time.

(David Cockey) #4

@lowell Would it be possible to port the CurvedOnSurface plug-in as it currently exists to V6? Sometime pursuit of perfection gets in the way of a very reasonable solution.

(Pascal Golay) #5

I think this was @GregArden 's baby, do I remember right?

-Pascal

Why do natives become certain plug-in or useful scripts?
For example, to edit a curve on the surface would be useful and of great importance in the modeling, needless to leave an incomplete command or done in half!
Rhino should give a sense of completeness, not of incompleteness!

I thought the same. But if it is available , then it is the same[quote=“davide76, post:6, topic:33063, full:true”]
Why do natives become certain plug-in or useful scripts?
For example, to edit a curve on the surface would be useful and of great importance in the modeling, needless to leave an incomplete command or done in half!
Rhino should give a sense of completeness, not of incompleteness!
[/quote]

I ask: the ability to edit a curve on surface has been implemented?
I hope yes…

Thank you

(John Brock) #9

Not that I’m aware of.
InterpCrvOnSrf is a History enabled command
so you can edit the surface and the curve will catch up, but if you edit the curve itself, there is nothing constraining it back to the surface and that editing will break the history association.

Thanks John

(John Brock) #11

I would guess that an association like that could be managed with Grasshopper, but that might have it’s own messiness.

(Greg Arden) #12

The CurveOnSurface plugin for Rhino6 is available at Food4Rhino

(David Cockey) #13

@GregArden The link to Food4Rhino results in

Access Denied

You are not authorized to access this page.

I did a search on Food4Rhino and only found the V5 version from 2012.

(Greg Arden) #14

I guess Food4Rhino is moderated it may take a day or 2 to be approved.

(Carlos Pérez) #15

@davidcockey @GregArden
Hi,

Yes, the first time a developer uploads a plug-in we check everything is correct.

CurveOnSurface for Rhino 6 is now approved!

Regards,

If CrvOnSurface has its utility, developed as a small plug-in, why not implement it natively in Rhino?

Often plug-ins created by McNeel become native commands in the next version - depending on how many people use it, etc…

@carlosperez

Hi is this available for Mac yet?

Thanks
Sach