CurveOnSurface plugin for Rhino 6

The CurveOnSurface plugin is now available for Rhino 6 onFood4Rhino.com. This plugin requires at least version 6.3 of Rhino, this version is currently available as a service release candidate.

The CurveOnSurface plug-in for Rhino provides two commands. The CurveOnSurface command is an alternative for the InterpCrvOnSrf command, while the CurveOnSurfacePtOn command turns on control points to edit this curve. The CurveOnSurface plugin is for Rhino for Windows only. There are different versions of the plugin for Rhino 6 and Rhino 5 (both 32-bit and 64-bit).

Unlike InterpCrvOnSrf, the curve created with CurveOnSurface is independent of the parametrization of the surface. The curve will tend to go in a straight or direct path instead of following the surface isocurves. In fact, when only two points are specified the curve is the shortest possible path (a geodesic) ā€“ the same curve made by the ShortPath command.

CurveOnSurfacePtOn will turn on control points at the interpolation points that defined the curve. These can then be edited individually, or in larger selection sets, to directly edit the curve. The points will be constrained to stay on the surface. Control point editing commands such as Nudge may also be used. The PtOff command turns off all control points.

The Rhino 6 version of CurveOnSurface will allow one to draw over the seam of a smooth closed surface.

3 Likes

@GregArden Great news - but the link does not work for me. Iā€™m logged into Food4Rhino and the link results in:

Access Denied

You are not authorized to access this page.

1 Like

same here

Access Denied

You are not authorized to access this page.

It is now approved and available for download on Food4Rhino. I succesfully downloaded and installed the plugin using the link Greg linked to above.

thanks

I cannot migrate this plugin to Rhino 7.

It works fine on my Rhino 7. I made the following settings to a new icon:
Curve on surface

I just downloaded CurveOnSurface from Food4Rhino.com and installed it in Rhino 7. https://www.food4rhino.com/app/curveonsurface-0#downloads_list

My first attempt to install it failed and returned a message about not being compiled for this version. Then I realized the downloaded file is a .rhp file, not a .rhi file. (I can install a .rhi file by clicking on it.) To install the .rhp file:

1. Start Rhino 7,
  2. Drag rhino6curveonsurface.rhp to a Rhino viewport
  3. CurveOnSurface and the associated commands should then work.
1 Like

I also installed it with dragging it directly into Rhino 7.

I installed it in Rhino 6 by dragging the rhino6curveonsurface.rhp. I installed it in Rhino 7 by downloading it directly from CurveOnSurface | Food4Rhino to Rhino 7.

The CurveOnSurface command has buggy option called Close. When it is set to Yes, the command does not make any curves. This bug is present in Rhino 6 and Rhino 7.

I tried to make smooth, closed curve with the help of MakePeriodic command. It did not work well - total number of control points tripled and I could not use the CurveOnSurfacePtOn command on this curve.

1 Like