Creating negative space from revolved object

Hi there

Is it possible to create a revolved object and then use extruded curves to create negative space while keeping the piece solid? When I use the split command, the piece becomes hollow. Below is a pic and the file. Revolve objects are new to me-maybe there is a better way to create a similar outcome?

thank yourevolve2.3dm (4.2 MB)

(Chris Kuether ) #2

Your revolved object hasn’t made a complete revolution. There’s a gap and resulting 8 naked edges.

Hi there,

Yes, thank you. Is that a secondary issue or is it related to why the revolved object doesn’t turn out solid when trying to create negative space?

(Wim Dekeyser) #4

It’s not clear to me what you want to be “negative space” but making closed objects before trimming should work.

By using the command on the red _Cap polysurface you get a solid (and at this point you can use the 3-cylinder for a _BooleanDifference. Alternatively, maybe this can help (the result is the smooth cutting area.) Use at your pleasure the distance _crv of cutting Blue.

Thank you, it looks like it was due to the incomplete revolve. Much appreciated. I was able to boolean difference without problem.
Much appreciated!