Creating a parameterized table

Hi!

I’ve done a couple of experiments with Grasshopper about a year ago and doing a little refresher where I want to create a table like this:

Based on my previous experiments I created this:

grasshopper-experimenting-with-table-v1-cleaned-up.gh (13.8 KB)

The attached experiment is far from what I’m trying to create and I’m curious about how to create the sides in such a way as in the first screenshot?

Thanks!

This is hasty and not accurate but might give you some ideas?

table_2021May13a.gh (18.0 KB)

Oops, I forgot the bottom shelf. There is no single correct way of doing this, it’s all about the details.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Joseph_Oster, this is amazing and a good start to look into some nodes I haven’t used before!

Here is a more careful version, with the shelf:

table_2021May13b.gh (27.5 KB)

2 Likes

Amazing! Everyone on this forum is so extremelly kind, great community.

I wasn’t happy with the imprecision of scaling the bottom shelf so this is a complete re-write using Domain Box for all pieces of lumber. Eval (Evaluate) is used three times to do simple math, reducing the component count and complexity. Way better!

table_2021May14a.gh (30.9 KB)

Variation of the same code, moving the horizontal cross pieces inside the posts, to the ends of the shelf.

table_2021May14b.gh (38.3 KB)

Maybe it should be the other way? Leave the end cross pieces flush with the table top and move the long horizontal cross pieces inside the posts?