Create a Grid of Points from a Surface

How can I create a set of points in a grid on a surface.

I tried creating evenly spaced vertical lines; extrude those to a surface; intersect with surface to create vertical curves.

I then created a set of horizontal lines; extrude those to a surface; intersect with the lines.

I would expect that I would now have a set of points. Instead I get a mixture of curves and points.

The images here shows after the second intersection.

How about just creating a grid of points flat (using Array) and using Project to project them to the surface in question?

–Mitch

One issue is that the required vertical spacing is not uniform.

OK, so create your series of lines (horizontal/vertical) on one of the CPlanes, then intersect those, and project the resulting points to the surface…

–Mitch

It turns out I get something similar projecting. Some of the waterlines produce duplicates. Other waterlines do not get points projected.

Problem39.3dm (2.1 MB)

You have one row of duplicates in there. It appears they all got projected though, as far as I can see.

If you are going to get intersections with surfaces that have parts of them parallel to the projection direction, you may have problems. One other way to attack this might be to run contour on the surface from two directions and intersect those contours.

In theory your extrude/intersect method should also work though.

–Mitch

Simpler and quicker to use the Contour command to create the curves/lines with the surface as the object to be contoured.

Simpler and quicker to use the Contour command with the set of curves/lines as the object to be contoured, if the spacing is uniform.

If the spacing is not uniform use Section at each location with the set of curves/lines as the object to be sectioned…

probably something in Paneling Tools that will help out.

for instance, ptGridSurfaceDomainNumber may do what you want?

Paneling Tools is only available in rhino for mac WIP version:
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/wip