Copy object to other file keeping on plane

Here’s a little problem I am running into. I have a master file where I keep the profile of a master curve that I use on various products that must start from this curve. The curve consists of 2 arcs (different radii) and are joined by a degree 3 curve. When I copy paste this to another existing file to use the master curve, it is no longer on the Cplane and is just off being parallel to it so I can’t use “move”. If I use “project to cplane” you no longer have that exact curve and I need it exact. It was definitely on plane in the master and I have “planar” checked in both files. Rhino can’t copy complete layers to another drawing (as that would keep it on plane) and trying to rotate each axis one at a time isn’t easy to do either. My understanding of Setpt is that it is like project to cplane where you’ll no longer have that exact curve. Any suggestions?

There is no link whatsoever between a layer and a CPlane an object is on.

I really do not understand what that means.

Please post the master file.
From (some of) what you write, it sounds like you used a custom CPlane in the master file. If so, you could probably use RemapCPlane to move the curves to a default CPlane.

1 Like

Sorry, I’ll try to be a more specific and give you some background/history. Maybe some of this info isn’t relevant to the problem but I’ll tell you what I did regardless. The curve in the master file (file A) started life as a curve that I digitised with my PCMM (6 axis digitising arm) from a real world product. First you set the origin then the X and Y directions then you digitise all the crucial points and as you can imagine, all real world items (even if it were a simple cube) are never 100% square/parallel/perpendicular/etc. in X, Y and Z so you have to use “project to Cplane” and Setpt, etc. as required. Now I have a digitised curve which I offset by 3mm in both directions to allow for the 6mm diameter stylus on the end of the digitising arm. This curve/spline is close to what I want but due to poor machining (in wood) and wear & tear, etc., it is no longer the smooth shape of 2 arcs of different radii that are joined by a degree 3 curve, that it was designed with, so then on another layer I draw those 2 arcs and the deg3 curve so that they match the original as close as possible. I now have my master curve and it is on plane (i.e. z 0.00 everywhere).

I now copy and paste that master curve into an existing file (file B) (“planar” is always selected by default) however in doing so it doesn’t land on plane at Z 0.00 and nor is it parallel to the Z plane where you could simply do “move” to get it on plane. It sits at say 5.33mm from Z 0.00 in one direction/extremity and 5.82mm from Z 0.00 in another direction/extremity and 6.17mm from zero in another direction. (Hope that explains “just off (as in almost but not exactly) being parallel to the Cplane” . I can’t reset the Cplane to the copied curve in file B because it’s an existing file with the Cplane already set to the many objects already in the file. If I were to use project to Cplane or Setpt, you end up with something close to the original but not exactly and this job has other parts that rely on this shape being exactly correct as opposed to “nearly” correct.

You probably hit the nail on the head when you said that maybe I “used a custom CPlane in the master file” and therefore need to use RemapCPlane. I’ll investigate. Unfortunately I can’t post the file as I have signed a non-disclosure form with my customer. Thanks Wim

“Remap to Cplane” did the trick. I also used it elsewhere to put a curve (that I obtained from the cross section of a surface) on plane, and it really is helpful for what I do. Thanks Wim.

1 Like

Hi Phillip- you can also import the custom plane, if it is saved as a named CPlane in File A, to file B. NamedCPlane command.

-Pascal

Thank you Pascal.