Converting a rhino file into sheet metal flat patterns

Hi, I am a newbie. I am trying to convert a part in rhino into sheet metal 2d flat pattern drawings, but I am unable to do it. Tried unroll, make 2d (4 views USA), flatten, etc but not been able to achieve the desired result. I have uploaded the file here too for reference. Can anyone let me know what is the procedure to be followed to achieve this ?
I am trying to make auotcad sheet metal drawing (flat patterns for manufacturing) sampletest.3dm (7.3 MB)from this rhino file.

Hi Bobby - try: ExtractSrf the outer faces of the object and Join them. UnrollSrf with Explde=No.

sampletest_PG.zip (1.6 MB)

-Pascal

Hi. Thanks for the swift reply. I managed to extract the surfaces using the command you mentioned. But how did you join the three outer extracted faces. I tried using the join command and join edges command which dint work out.sampletest.3dm (7.8 MB

Can you please help on this ?

Join should work… that is what I used. ExtractSrf, then Join. Stay away from JoinEdge… see Help for caveats on that command.

-Pascal

I tried using join to join the three extracted faces, and it says cannot join surfaces. I tried checking if there were any bad objects, but there wer’ent any. Attaching the same 3dm file with which I tried here for reference. Can you please help me on this ?sampletest.3dm (7.1 MB)

You need to extract all of the outer faces - including the fillets between the horizontal and vertical surfaces.

-Pascal

Hi BOBBY,
and if you do as pascal said, it should look like this.

ED77

I managed to extract and join the surfaces, and then I tried to unrollsrf(explode=no). It did unroll but there seem to be so many views like in the picture below.

I have attached the 3dm file for reference.sampletest.3dm (14.0 MB)

How do I get the single unrolled surface and avoid those other views ?

Those are not other views but all the surfaces in that object that are being unrolled.

You first need to extract the outer surface so that all that remains are these 9 surfaces:

When you then run the command on this polysurface, the result is as shown by ED77.

Note that the production of sheet metal parts involves both compression and stretch of the material - it is not necessarily the outer surface but rather a middle surface that will produce the correct result … That you need to discuss with the people who will produce the part.

3 Likes