Thank you for making the modification! I finally got a chance to try out the new script. It appeared to have worked in Rhino. The box wireframes were black in the viewport, but showed individual color in shaded mode. I merged and exported as FBX in default settings.
However, the FBX, upon import into Max, showed no vertex colors. I tried both binary and ASCII, and even a 3rd party PLY importer.
What did the trick was another Python script, found on this forum. I had to run it to fix the colors before they could be brought out.
Below is the first successful test, rendered from 3DS Max.
I have attached the colorfix script to aid anyone searching to do this in the future.
Rhino_MeshColorFix.py (235 Bytes)
Also, here is a modification of the cube substitution script, making the per-cube vertex count as small as possible.
PointCloudToColorMeshBoxes-NoSegs.py (1.4 KB)
Thanks again for your aid. (I’m trying to do something kind of unorthodox for my project, so every step taken seems like an uphill battle.)