Convert mesh into custom panels

Hello Everyone,

struggling with the panelization of a quad mesh that has been made with kangaroo. I tried a lot of different plugins to convert the mesh into a surface since that’s required by most panelization plug-ins, but nothing has helped me so far. does anybody know how I can get this custom pattern on my quad mesh. and if its possible to later on make each panel flat?

Upload your gh file

new design over elkaar 230802.gh (210.4 KB)

this is the part where the quad mesh is made after the kangaroo plugin

The pattern I’m trying to recreate is from the shells of achim menges. I know he follows a complete different method of achieving the panelization with optimization techniques. However I’m just after the aesthetics for now

Following forum guidelines is a good idea to get an answer.

i’m sorry, new to the forum. i uploaded a cleaned version of the file
new design over elkaar 230802 cleaned.gh (151.8 KB)

That’s indeed a very useful thread on the planarization, however it doesn’t really give me the insights on how to create the custom paneling on a mesh

So you like to create custom pattern(not quad) than penalize them, right?

These are hex not quad, NGon can do that.

Hi Tom,
I had a crack at making that shape of panel. The basic strategy was to further subdivide the quads into triangles and then use stripper to get each row of the mesh and build up that shape from the triangles. The mesh pieces come out non-ordered so there are a couple steps of ordering the pieces. Then I grouped the pieces in each row so that they would make that shape. I had to do some funny manipulation with the data tree at the end, i’m sure there is a simpler way to accomplish it.

As to making each panel flat, do you mean unrolling each panel or make the shell structure out of flat panels?

new design over elkaar 230802 cleaned.gh (176.9 KB)

Thank you so much for your time. I indeed intend to make the shell out of flat panels

In an earlier version I already tried to flatten the panels with kangaroo, but that changed the division a lot