Constrain Z axis

Hi everyone,

My question is simple, how to constrain the Z axis in perspective 3D view? I can active ortho mode with the SHIFT key, but can’t seem to work in z axis (which is totally logic). I don’t want to be forced to switch the view to snap in Z axis.

Best regards,
David Larouche

You can activate the elevator mode by holding Ctrl down while clicking a point.
If you have planar mode on, your next points will be at the same z-elevation.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work with polyline. Trying to figure out how you could make a polyline to be constrained on the z axis so you doesn’t have to interrupt the process.

Otherwise, I’d need to join the lines, but it’s not quite efficient.

Best regards,
David

Hmmm… I just tried this and it worked for me using a polyline when I clicked on Control first, then L clicked to start the polyline. I was constrained to only Z axis movements after the polyline was started. When I started the polyline first, then held the Control key, it did not constrain in the Z axis.

Good luck,
Doug

Oh yeah, it works. Thanks

I had to hold CTRL and click again. I wish z axis could be constrained the same way it works for Y-X axis, by simply holding the key down. By the way, why would rhino also use two different keys to constrain the axes?

I don’t think it’s user-friendly, or maybe there is some explanation for advanced users?

Best regards,
D.L

Glad you got it to work!

Perspective view is great for selecting objects, and can be challenging to model in, since it’s really the Top view, with the camera in a different place. Placing and moving objects in Perspective can be a wild ride; like a laser beam with a mind of its own. Control “elevator mode” is an older way to make Perspective more usable for modeling. The Gumball levels the field quite a bit in making the Perspective view much more friendly for modeling.

Best regards,
Doug

1 Like

FWIW, There has been some experimentation going on to make the CPlane in the perspective view follow the camera to a certain degree. The most useful implementation of this functionality (to me) is in the attached script. This way, when drawing a polyline with the camera at one place will draw on the XY plane. When you move the camera you can continue drawing in e.g. the XZ plane.
KyleMode_NoViewSnap_Label.py (9.0 KB)