I’m in the process of buying a stationary computer for work and would like some input on my components. My work consists of (apart from all ordinary office stuff) mainly building medium-ish sized models of kitchen interiors in Rhino + Grasshopper, and then rendering different angles in Flamingo (I’m architect at a kitchen/interior carpentry). The models are not at all too heavy, but rendering takes way too long at the laptop () I’m working on right now. So while I’m not doing the most detailed/complex/large models, I still want them to flow smoothly while working, and then render quickly as I normally want to produce ~5 angles in short time.
I’ve been working on a component list at a Swedish (where I live) computer website where I can change configuration starting from a standard setup. A word here and there is in Swedish, but the component names are ofc the same as anywhere:
Link to the site where I can make the different choices (this is their standard configuration):
So, a few questions:
- The 6-core CPU that is standard in this configuration should be more than enough right? They have an 8-core as second option, but it adds some 900 USD or so to the price…
- Is 32 Gb RAM overkill, is 16 enough? On my current laptop I only use 4 of 8 Gb when the CPU is maxed out, but maybe this CPU will perform well enough to allow full use of 16 Gb RAM?
- I guess the GPU listed above should be well enough for my needs?
- Is there any “weak link” in my setup that I should upgrade to optimize the setup?
- Is there any “overkill” component that never will use it’s full potential?
Any comments on the list above would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been trying to read up on this but it’s quite a jungle for a beginner… Feel free to ask questions if you need a better picture of my needs.