How many cores will Bongo use?

I am wondering because I am configuring hardware for multitasking.

Bongo works in Rhino so it has the same hardware specifications as Rhino and I noticed that you already asked about Rhino here:

For the rendering part, it’s up to the renderer. Bongo just calls the renderer to render the images and from there it’s up to the renderer. You should check the renderer that you’re interesting in using for more details.

I see, so if I was using a 6 core processor, I know flamingo will use 4 core, leaving two cores for Rhino, Bongo and web browsing, some other stuff, allowing me to continue working while rendering, without any performance slow down in the rhino display pipeline, using the tools/commands, or while using bongo? is that correct?

I may be wrong, but according to my system with coretemp running while rendering in Flamingo Nxt, all six cores of my Intel 3930K are running and much of the time at 100% with a slight break between each pass during which they are all running but at lower percentages. I typically render with 35 passes and occasionally at 3600 x 2400 while most of the time at 1800 x 1200, The higher resolution renderings work well with my HP plotter for 24 x 36 plots that often have clients weeping with joy. If only that were true,alas…So, would I be wrong to assume that Flamingo will take advantage of all cores in a system? Must be, otherwise why Render farm? cheers, Rob

PROCESSOR

The speed of the main processor in your computer is the main factor in Flamingo performance.
A dual-processor or dual-core computer (when correctly enabled in
Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Vista) will speed up rendering,
probably by 85%, compared to a single processor. Quad-core processors
will approach 4 times the performance of single processors of the same speed. Currently, Flamingo does not improve performance with more than 4 processors.

According to there own wiki Flamingo can only use 4 processors. Which I believe is a good thing for Multitasking. with 6 cores you should be able to render and continue to work in rhino without a loss of performance, because Rhino only uses one core, and a little bit of a second core with some tasks, and Flamingo does not use the graphics card, the Rhino display does though, so for you there should be no performance loss while rendering you should be able to use rhino, bongo and other stuff while rendering. A nice feature.

The reference to Windows NT should tell you that wiki article is a bit outdated. Flamingo NXT can support more than 4 threads, and does distributed rendering over a network.

I think you’re over thinking this a bit with trying to organize how many cores you’re going to use for what, you don’t really need to limit your renderer to fewer processor cores than you have (which of course will be 12 with hyperhtreading on a 6-core Intel, which is actually quite a bit faster rendering with Brazil on my work’s new Xeon rig, the wattage readout on the UPS shows it wrings more utilization out of the available hardware, I thought it was a bit of a gimmick of no help to such tasks) to continue to work on other stuff, you’ll probably just want to let it get done as quickly as possible. The important question is, do you want Flamingo or something else? What are you rendering?

Well it depends how long rendering takes, if its takes an hour or so then yes, its deffinately worth it for me to use 4 cores and save the other two for other stuff.

I’m rendering everything outdoor scenes, indoor scenes. just things.

Its tough to find clear information about CAD, and I hear that from other CAD operators as well, the tech side is way too abstracted IMO.

Seriously, I spent quite a bit of time on this forum trying to get clear current information about these products, and it is not easy to do.

Somebody really needs to break it all down for people.

Basically I learned, more GHz is better, more RAM is better, and more Video Memory is better.

quite right, in fact if you visit the wiki, a bit further down it talks about Rhino only available as a 32 bit program, which of course is not the case these days. At the very bottom of the wiki, there is a date noted as January 2014 for being the latest update to the wiki. Apparently not…cheers to all, Rob

I currently run two processors with twelve cores each. The programs Flamingo and Bongo runs all at hundred percent. Renderings and animations that took thirty seven hours are now done in about two hours. Although the processor has lot of cores it was thought that processor speed could be reduced and made up for by the number of cores which is not true. The replacement workstation ran a three gaga bit processor, with the dual processor at two point six gaga bit. This makes modeling slower then before.