Compute License Files

This question is regarding cloudzoo.json and cloudzoo.txt files, in an enterprise setup, what is the difference between those files on different machines?

I am mainly asking in reference to “Getting started with Rhino Compute on AWS”, how will things differ based on different pairs of those file?

I assume what you are interested in is the license key and the licensing type, which should exist in any pair of those files from any machine using the same zoo, is that correct?

The other question is, is it correct to assume that “Core Hour Billing” does not apply if I am using compute on on-prem servers and I have enough licenses in the zoo to cover my use?

Edit:
Based on the diff here I see that the only steps in the whole repo pointing to how to generate the .lic was removed and is now dependent on the online license portal/rhino account.

I guess this question might be for @brian ?

Hi,

This whole system is in transition right now, as we prepare to make core-hour billing a requirement for Rhino WIP/Rhino 7 running on Windows Server.

The only way to license Rhino 7 on Windows Server or Docker will be using core-hour billing, and with the 15-Sep-2020 WIP, core-hour billing will be required to start Rhino in any form on Windows Server.

The instructions you pointed out in your diff have been added to the Getting Started guide from your first link. This also eliminates any discussion about any other files, as the RHINO_TOKEN environment variable takes care of all the other mechanical details of licensing.

No, that’s incorrect. It doesn’t matter to us where your servers run (AWS, Azure, on-prem) - the licensing and billing for Rhino is the same.

The guides need consolidating, I think. That’s something I’m hoping to get to in the next few weeks, if no one else beats me to it :).

The bootstrap script also needs to be updated to remove references to cloudzoo.json and friends and instead handle setting/checking the RHINO_TOKEN environment variable.

Thanks @brian and @will for the clarification.