Component chunks abstract forms

Component chunks abstract forms.

Is this parametically achieveable in grasshopper?
In theory, one curve can be used and than a cocoon like plugin can be used whereafter a mesh abstraction can be applied.
What kind of plugin or component can do this trick (see image below)?

Other, but too difficult to reach, directions.

Ofc, nearly everthing can be done in grasshopper. But may consider a few questions:
Is it necessary that it‘s done with grasshopper?
Is ist the fastest way?
The easiest way?
The best way?
Does it need to be parametric?
What are your params? What are you trying to achieve?
For example: picture 3 Looks like some crazy future Science-Fiction Concept. So Most of the time theay are just created by modeling. May it‘s not even 3D.

Is there a plugin which can do the Trick?

• for what? Linking a curve and get all stuff you can Imagine?

First picture could be a convex hull. Mesh triangulation. It could also be „organic“ mesh, which is being reduced.

1. picture could be a Box Morph Or minimal surface.

Without knowing the background, it‘s just guessing.

So short:
Is it possible: yes
Is it necessary: depending on you

2 Likes

This is my image, it was done in grasshopper. Not with any single specific component. It was a definition I made (thought process). So no there is no single component that will just make these things. It is the logic you come up with through a sequence of events which can make them.

Image 3 and 5 I know the artist and he is using things like Maya, although in image 5 he used my discrete polyline component for the red lines.

2 Likes

Ah, I already thought about that. Btw I Love discrete polyline and vector

Can I ask what your design process / workflow was?

1 Like

I believe he used the example file I have there called like discrete vectors space filling.

1 Like

Ah no sorry, I meant in your picture. ( 4. picture)

1 Like

Ah it is some minimal surface stuff with anemone from few years ago.

1 Like

I tried the following.
What I want to do is keeping the area size of each square and then move the points over the frame’s plane away from the sphere.

For now I am most curious about if their exists a move component like the real one, but than moves the points over the frame’s plane. It there a component like that?

Frames 01.gh (22.7 KB)

a move component like the real one

What about the move is not real. That is how moving works. Assign it a vector for moving.

1 Like

Yes I understand.
I tried it differently now. However, it does work properly.

Does there exist a move away component or something like that? I do not know how to approach this.
My goal is to move the points away from the sphere along the plane and keep the area size.

Most important for me now is the move away component.

Frames 02.gh (22.3 KB)

Make the vector for the direction you want to move. Move can move in any direction. So whatever “away” means in your case. Make those vectors.

To keep the area, move the midpoint and create the rectangle after. Or scale/offset the curve.

1 Like

Yes I understand that.
But, I cannot find the ‘project to plane’ or something like that.

I try to do, ‘move the corners of the square away along the original plane of the square.’

rather than move the points why not just move the entire square? Why do you need to move the points. Are you trying to deform them?

1 Like

Yes, the rectangles are going to be completeley deformed.

Is there a component that ‘straighten’ the vectors along the plane? What kind of components I can think of?

Frames 03.gh (19.0 KB)

asda

It was just pull points to plane.

Did you use isosurface or mostly pufferfish components?

I can imagine that tweenin between surfaces is used and maybe even box morphing.

Ah it is some minimal surface stuff with anemone from few years ago

Was the minimal surface stuff made by hand or with components?
And how did you generate the thickness? It looks really cool