Complex facetted surface with fillets or blends

Hi everybody,

I have a bit of challenge that goes beyond my limited grasshopper knowledge. I want to generate a faceted/delaunay pattern on a complex surface (modelled in rhino). I am able to generate this pattern, but I don’t want the edges between the triangles to be sharp. I tried some different things, but of course normal fillets won’t solve this, because all the edges coming together at one point. I tried to model it using classic modelling techniques, so lofts between the straight lines and patching up the holes, I think this will be sufficient, but I have no idea how to solve this in Grasshopper. I know how to do this using meshes (for example weaverbird), but I want to have polysurfaces at the end. Can somebody help me with this, or point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Next to that I actually wanted to generate the triangulation by using a point cloud (to be able to easy randomize the pattern), but I didn’t manage to do this, because I understand the delaunay function is more meant for the 2d purposes?

delaunaypatternfillet.gh (551.0 KB)

Hello
there was a discussion on this subject, I can’t retreive it. From memory making good patch is not simple.
If you were using brep, traditional fillet could work like in this discussion

are u looking for this

Hi Rajeev,

Thank your for the reply. I recreated This look very good and your definition, I believe gives me an insight in how to do these lofts. But what I really would want is to have these lofts (or networks surfaces) to be tangent or curvature, to simulate fillets. Do you have any idea how to do this? Kind regards, Patrick

hi Patrick
actually your script created in higher version am rhino 5 user cant go deep into it just internalize the mesh and later script so i can have a look into it…
what u look into it

Hi Laurent,

I tried filleting in the baked polyservice, and this kind of works, but because there are so many edges, it takes a while. As I am planning to make different iterations of this triangulation, it would be great to solve this in grasshopper. I tried do the fillet edge command on the joined brep, but it will fillet the edges, but I get all these seperate fillet surfaces, not trimmed and the corners are not taken into account. Kind regards, Patrick

1 Like

Hi Rajeev, in the attachment is the definition with the mesh internalized. Can you open it now? I did copy your definition, but I now notice I didn’t save it unfortunately.
delaunaypatternfillet2.gh (13.9 KB)

Anybody a solution to this?

Distance between your edges is sub 0.5 mm

How do you plan on producing this part?

Assuming this will be 3D printed, I’m really not sure if it is worth anyones time to worry about fillets and patches…

???

Hello
as it seems a nice challenge here is my go. 2h-3h of work.
The main idea is to offset the faces depending of angle of two adjacent faces. The offset depends on this angle and the radius of filet. I choose to do it with mesh and with a script in C#

You can choose how the number of faces per filet. If there is 25° and you choose 5° there will be 5 faces for making the filet.

I order to fill holes, Pufferfish is used. A best method will be to make a dedicated fill holes using the initial mesh information.

offset_triangle_legacy.gh (26.4 KB)

1 Like