Combining UnrollSrfUV and CreateUV to combat deformation

Hello,

I think this is a challenging one:
I have a complex surface which I want to FlowAlongSrf a flat, 3D pattern onto without deforming the pattern according to the complex surface’s Control points/UV placement.

I had an idea, and bare with me here: First deform the flat pattern so that it re-deforms (to the correct shape) when it is Flown onto the complex surface. In short, compensate for the imminent deformation.

From the complex surface (A) I CreateUVCrv a 2D surface (B) and UnrollSrfUV © a second 2D surface which follows A’s shape. I FlowAlongSrf the pattern from B to C and then FlowAlongSrf the deformed pattern from B to A. I hope this was clear enough. If not, please let me know and I’ll try to explain it more in detail.

I still get deformation which I can’t comprehend the source for. Are the two 2D surfaces handling the UV of the complex surface differently?
Any help is appreciated!

Best Regards
G

Hi G - hard to say without a file but what comes to mind is this:

Mesh the surface.
Patch the mesh with a fairly dense patch surface.
FlowAlongSrf from a flat plane to the patch surface with History on, and edit the input objects (flat) for location, orientation and scale until the flowed ones look right.

-Pascal

Hi G,
If your surface is not too complex you may flatten it with the _Squish command.
Then arrange your pattern on the flattened surface and _SquishBack to 3D.
Jess