Cluster disentangled without notice

rhino6
cluster

(3dGrabber) #1

When copy-pasting a cluster C into the same document/cluster, C remains entangled.
When copy-pasting a cluster C into another cluster D, C gets disentangled without notice!
This is very confusing because there is no visual indication of the entangledness of a cluster.

clusterfk.gh (7.5 KB)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Copy paste the IsPositive cluster in-place
  2. Edit the original IsPositive (move some node around), exit and save
  3. Open the copy of IsPositive and observe that the changes have been inherited.
  4. Copy paste IsPositive into Negate.
  5. Edit the original IsPositive (move some node around), exit and save
  6. Open the copy of IsPositive inside Negate and observe that the changes have NOT been inherited.

(David Rutten) #2

Yes, entanglement is only possible within the same document. If you want clusters to remain synched up across documents (a cluster contains within it a completely different document) you’ll have to save the cluster as a file and reference it.

(3dGrabber) #3

entanglement is only possible within the same document

Is this a technical limitation?

If you want clusters to remain synched […] you’ll have to save the cluster as a file and reference it

It feels wrong to me to force the user to perform an unrelated action to achieve a certain task.
IMO the concepts for clusters of being external/inline and entangled/unentangled should be orthogonal.

The worst thing about it is that user must walk into the trap in order to find out.
There is no immediate visual feedback about the entangled/unentangled state and it is certainly not obvious
why clusters should behave differently in certain situations.

(Not trying to nag/whine here. I love Grasshopper and want it to become even better :slight_smile: )

(David Rutten) #4

It was designed this way, but technically entanglement could have been designed to also work across documents, provided those documents are nested.

Unless clusters are stored in a central location though (disk, server, whatever) entanglement across unrelated files is impossible. Referencing is entanglement-on-steroids in that sense, but perhaps it shouldn’t be a matter of degrees at all. I’m not really sure that the ideal solution would be.