Cluster reference, how?

reference
cluster
ghcluster
link

I’m trying to use clusters but can’t see how to link them between files, is there a way to do this?

I create a cluster in Grasshopper doc A and Export&Reference it to a file.
If I drag that file onto Grasshopper doc B, it appears as a component but its Properties are missing.
If I edit the cluster in A, it doesn’t update in B, likewise if I edit in B it doesn’t update in A. They’re not linked at all.
I can’t open the ghcluster file in Grasshopper, it returns “file_name is not of a recognized type”.

Clusters aren’t very useful if they can’t be referenced across different files. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

[Edit] OK I found the right-click/Update option in the cluster component. Guess I was just talking to the duck.
However the missing Properties are still a bug.
And updating is cumbersome if you have many such references. How about an “Update all clusters in this document”?

Thanks,
Bathsheba

(David Rutten) #2

You can reference the cluster files from within different documents, but it only concerns the cluster logic, not the data inside of it.

Furthermore if the file a cluster references changes the cluster itself will continue to work in the old way, but its display will change to reflect it is out of date. You have to update the cluster manually from the cluster context menu. This is done so that the behaviour of existing files doesn’t change when someone (possibly someone else if the file is on a shared location) modifies the referenced file.

(David Rutten) #3

What do you mean by Properties?

Yes that could be added, clusters weren’t designed with the idea that you’d change the underlying files often, and that when you change them you’d want to make sure there’s no unforeseen side-effects, but if you trust yourself to make a bunch of changes and then apply them all at once, then a just-do-it-all button would make your life a lot easier.

(Michael Pryor) #4

Maybe clusters can have some option which treats them like a block?

When you right-click on a Cluster and choose Properties to set the name, nickname, description.
As set:

After export and re-import:

The name, nickname and description are lost.

Thanks for reading!

(Aris Nikolopoulos) #6

That would be very nice!

(David Rutten) #7

Ah thanks, I’ll have to look into that.