Cloud Zoo License - Sign in on PC and travel laptop

cloudzoo

(Dan) #1

We are looking at switching our company from Zoo Server to Cloud Zoo.

Just trying to understand how the sign in process work:

We have approx. 8 licenses currently on Zoo Server, which we are thinking of transferring to Cloud Zoo. We will each have our own personal Rhino account, and there will be a team to which this pool of licenses is attached.

My question is: If someone is signed in on their regular computer in the office, and then also wants to take a laptop out of the office, for example on a trip to China, will they be able to use their own Rhino account to pick up a license for both machine from the team ‘pool’? I presume that this will take 2 out of the 8 licenses up?

When travelling out of the office, at what point is the sign in required? Every time you open Rhino? How does it work if there is no internet connection? How do you release a license back into the pool?

Any light that people can shed on this would be very useful,

Thanks,

Dan

(Rickson) #2

I’ve just started using this process.

If you are online it will pull from the pool no matter where you are (once i VPN in). You can also checkout a license for a few days if you anticipate being offline (airplane). The license is only good for whatever version you checkout R5 or R6, as far as i can tell.

(Dan) #3

Thanks for the input!

So you still have to check out / check in licenses in order to use them offline? One of the problems that we’ve had recently with Zoo Server is that if someone forgets to Check Out a license before they leave the office, they aren’t able to then access a license from outside of the office even if they use VPN to connect back to our server.

Can you access the licenses online by being signed in on a laptop, but not using a VPN to connect the office? As long as we can sign in from outside the office in order to check out a license that would work for us.

Dan

(John Brock) #4

Start here:
https://www.rhino3d.com/6/new/licensing-and-administration

Please note that use of the Cloud Zoo ONLY applies for V6.

(Andrés Jacobo) #5

Hi Dan,

If someone is signed in on their regular computer in the office, and then also wants to take a laptop out of the office, for example on a trip to China, will they be able to use their own Rhino account to pick up a license for both machine from the team ‘pool’? I presume that this will take 2 out of the 8 licenses up?

Correct.

When travelling out of the office, at what point is the sign in required? Every time you open Rhino? How does it work if there is no internet connection? How do you release a license back into the pool?

Actually signing in to your account should not occur more than a couple of times every year, depending on how you signed in. It’s like signing in to gmail/facebook on your browser. You can of course force a login/logout of a computer by using the Login and Logout commands, respectively.

However, to keep using a license, Rhino needs to connect to the internet about once every couple of weeks. This is to ensure that you still have a license and haven’t returned it/resold it to someone else. Rhino will give you plenty of warnings before it will close in case you’ve been offline for a while as to minimize the chances of being booted out unexpectedly (Although you always have a chance to save your work in the worst case scenario). Licenses are automatically released to the pool when you close Rhino on a computer. You can see this behavior live for your team at www.rhino3d.com/licenses

I hope this helps. We have tried to make Cloud Zoo extremely simple (no VPNs, no license check-in/check-outs, no servers to maintain) and should work quite well for a small or large team if you don’t need geographic/device restrictions.

AJ

(Dan) #6

Hi AJ,

Thanks for the extra info. One last set of questions:

If one person is signed in on multiple machines, will they be using multiple licenses from the pool? Ie. This user is signed in on their office PC and their travel laptop simultaneously. Will they have taken two licenses from the pool because it is two computers, or a single license because they are a single user. We need to understand this to ensure that we have enough licenses in our pool to cover all of our staff.

Dan

(Andrés Jacobo) #7

Hi @dan8, yes, a seat is per computer, so if user A signs in to machine 1 and 2, then two licenses will be drawn out of the pool.