Clipped View Curve Creation

Hey there! Enjoying the WIP builds so far, particularly the improved performance when working with large point-cloud objects.

One issue I seem to have (and have been unable to track down here, or at least, am using the wrong terms when doing so) revolves around drawing curve objects in clipped views; for whatever reason, when drawing a line, arc, curve et. al. in a clipped view, the object under construction is not visible in that view – but it is in any other unclipped views. Moreover, the object is visible after creation.

Obviously this creates some headaches in object construction. Any ideas?

Hi Christopher - so far it’s the opposite (and expected, I would say) behavior here - in drawing a curve on the clipped side of a clipping plane, I can see the curve while drawing it but it is clipped (disappears) once the command ends.

Is the problem you’re reporting visible in any display mode?

-Pascal

Pascal:

Seemed to be all display modes for me, or at least wireframe and rendered.

Would providing an image/video of the problem help at all?

@Christopher_A_Daily Yes I believe it would.

-David

An added wrinkle has surfaced – it turns out that 90% of the time when I am using clipping planes I am actively clipping point cloud objects. I noticed yesterday that when I have point clouds off, the behavior returns to normal. I have attached a link to a video showing the issue.

Clipping Plane Rendering

Hi Christopher - on a different machine (Intel graphics) , I see the curve drawing process is clipped but only on the clipped side of the plane. On my primary machine, it behaves as expected. What video card do you have - can you run SystemInfo at the Rhino command line and copy/paste the results here?

-Pascal

Rhino 6 SR0 2017-10-17 (Rhino WIP, 6.0.17290.10121, Git hash:master @ 9cecfdbffae762d841b794af05cfb5ebee39222a)

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.52)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: NA
Driver Version: NA
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\CyclesForRhino.rhp “Cycles for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Christopher - thanks - I cannot repeat this here, pointcloud or no pointcloud… I’m on Windows 10, I’ll see if I can get someone to test on 7.

-Pascal

Hi @Christopher_A_Daily,

When was the last time you updated your graphics drivers? It seems like SystemInfo wasn’t able to determine your driver date, but that might be related to running Windows 7.

I would strongly recommend going to the Nvidia website to download the very latest.