Chamfer...?

I haven’t really used Rhino for this but it seems unnatural that when using chamfer the result is not joined together. There isn’t even an option of the command to do so. :thinking:

ChamferEdge

2 Likes

Thanks @jeff_hammond,

I did not know that.

Still though my question/complain is valid.

UPDATE:

Oh, just saw something weird.
Usually chamfer (in machine building drawings) is defined by 2x45 (degrees) that means 2 mm for each side and angle 45 degrees. When using ChamferEdge however, the distance entered is the actual width of the chamfer.

I would ask McNeel to go on a Turning machine and make me a shaft with 2mm chamfer width. :rofl:

How many times you gonna stop and measure?
Instead of defining the chamfer by two distances, which in a turning machine would mean just one translation of 2 mm.

Update2:
It’s not even 2mm :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2*sqrt(2)= 2.8284271247461900976
but the ChamferEdge width of the chamfer is 1.414 mm

I’m not following you… are you saying this is wrong:

(if I entered 2 for my ChamferEdge distance)

?

because I use this command sometimes… and I feel like it’s the proper behavior… or, it’s making the chamfers how I want them

no it is not wrong, but first time I created it, it was wrong.
:thinking:

I guess when you click on an edge it takes the last entered distance. And if you change it it is applied to the next one you click

I guess that’s why it is called NextChamferDistance.

Here’s the scenario:

1. Start ChamferEdge
  2. select edge
  3. change the value of NextChamferDistance
  4. complete the command

Actual result:
The distance applied is the old one, and not the one you set after selecting the edge. This is counter intuitive.

maybe… but it allows you to do stuff like this in one go:

I don’t like it.

FilletEdge works the same way…

as far as liking it or not, I guess for me in this particular type of scenario, I try not to have an opinion on its like-ability… I just try to use it how it was designed to be used :wink:

but in the scenario you posed, there is a chance to change the distance prior to completing the command… in between steps 3 & 4, another prompt comes up where you can change the distance or make variable distance chamfers/fillets.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

there you change the distance for the next edge of the chain.

there are a few things you can do in that point… use SetAll which will change all of your previous distances regardless of what you initially entered… you can also click on the handles in the preview and type new distances that way… LinkHandles will let you change all the handles by the same amount even if they are different lengths… (ie- change 3mm & 5mm chamfers to 4mm&6mm)

Why all that, instead of making the ChamferSrf join the resulting chamfer back to the polysurface it was created from?

I’m not sure

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Helvetosaur has been around the Rhino community a long time… do you remember any discussions/reasonings?