Chain/Necklace Hanging Simulation

I am a beginner in Grasshopper, but I like to experiment with some basic features. I need some guidance for a project that I am working on. I am a jewelry designer by profession and my employer wants me to test how a necklace or a bracelet would drape on a neck/wrist. I have attached a file of my project for your reference. The blue part in the file is fixed and can be moved by the mouse. It serves as an anchor point for the rest of the parts. The blue part does not have any gravity effect on it, but the other parts should hang naturally by the force of gravity. They should also avoid overlapping or colliding with each other. Is this achievable in Kangaroo? (Something similar to keyshot or blender physics).

I checked this post.
i need something like this but in different way. Thanks in advance.

608d1de66aea35543b0165317f18328fa59a0c64_2_690x434
Cuban bracelet.3dm (11.6 MB)

What a pitty, you’re using a corporate license which seems to be pirated / cracked…

Interface Name: Rhinoceros 7.28 - Corporate, build 2023-02-27 - (compiled Feb 27 2023)

It would be an interesting project but I do not support the use of cracked licenses.

Pirate? In any case, this looks like it should be a catenary curve, eh?

1 Like

This constructs a catenary curve of arbitrary length between endpoints (volume centroids of the two end links in the chain). Length is adjusted manually so the 81 links don’t collide, but this is based only on visual inspection so avoiding collisions needs more work.

As I write this, I added a Collision Many|Many component (VERY SLOW! 29 seconds) to detect collisions and nudged the ‘Length’ slider, trying to avoid them - but apparently there is more to it than that… By the way, I just tested your existing links and they collide with each other too!

P.S. I added the purple group to determine the length of your original chain (~166 units), which got rather complicated because I had to sort the links (points) in sequence first.

P.P.S. I found a perspective that makes the link collisions more visible. Perhaps the orientation of these links is wrong because they collide regardless of the length used for the catenary curve.

This image uses length = 166 units: