Can't install grasshopper?

Hi,

I just purchased a educational single copy of rhino 5, and have been trying to install grasshopper. I downloaded the .rhi, and ran it successfully. The problem is that grasshopper is not actually installing. The files are not in the folder, and there is no sign of it in Rhino. What is the problem here? Am I doing something wrong? Please help!

Thanks!

(Pascal Golay) #2

After you run the GH installer, then start Rhino, if you type Grasshopper at the Rhino command line does anything happen at all? Unknown Command?

-Pascal

You may have a hard time finding the installation… it’s here:

C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Plug-ins\Grasshopper {B45A29B1-4343-4035-989E-044E8580D9CF}\0.9.56.0

–Mitch

I’ve found that it’s only a problem with the x32 version. The x64 works properly, but for some reason, with grasshopper installed in the location Mitch mentioned, the x32 is not recognizing anything installed. And Pascal, as I’ve said, the x64 gives me the proper grasshopper load, but for x32, its giving me unknown command.

(Brian James) #5

Hi Hawke,
Can you check Options>Rhino Options>Plugins on the 32 bit Rhino to see if Grasshopper is there but not loaded? I’ve seen this a couple times when for some reason a plugin is installed after an update but not loaded automatically.

BrianJ, the plugin is not there, meaning its not that its not loaded, it just does not exist. I have a make shift method i am using for now, but I’m not sure its a permanent solution. I’ve copied the grasshopper folder form the location Mitch directed me to, and pasted it into the plugin folder of the x32 rhino. I then drag/dropped the grasshopper rhp into the x32 rhino, and it seems to be working. However, I am not sure whether this solution will continue to work when I make updates.

(Brian James) #7

Thanks for checking on that Hawke. I’m not sure myself what you’ll get when updating.

@DavidRutten, if you have a moment can you offer an opinion on this one?

(Brian Gillespie) #8

Yes, this will continue to work when new updates are installed.

I also encountered this problem with my recent Grasshopper installation on a Windows 7 SP1 x64 and having both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Rhino v5. It seems double-clicking on the RHI file would install Grasshopper for the 64-bit Rhino and the 32-bit Rhino cannot see the installation although it was successfully installed.

My observation is that both Rhino Installer Engine executables (x32 and x64) are named the same way and that Windows Explorer would associate the RHI file with just one (preferably x64?).

What I did to get 32-bit Rhino to recognize the Grasshopper installation was to drag the RHI file to the 32-bit rhiexec.exe (located in C:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 5.0 (64-bit)\System\x86 in my case). Now both versions of Rhino can open the Grasshopper installation. I hope this helps anyone else.