Can you memorize differences between these commands?

Can you memorize differences between the following commands? FlattenSrf, Smash, Squish, SquishBack, SquishInfo, UnrollSrf, UnrollSrfUV, ApplyCrv, CreateUVCrv, and FlowAlongSrf. If you cannot, you may support my suggestion to merge these commands into just two commands: one command projects objects on the construction plane, while the other command projects objects on a 3D surface.

No, I just remember the ones I need: UnrollSrf, Squish, and FlowAlongSrf. For the others I just use Help.

I would oppose any attempts to eliminate or complicate the commands I use.

[quote=“Andrew_Nowicki, post:1, topic:41690”]
one command projects objects on the construction plane, while the other command projects objects on a 3D surface.
[/quote] ProjectToCPlane and Project. There is also Pull which is different than Project. These are fundamentally different than FlattenSrf, Smash, Squish, SquishBack, SquishInfo, UnrollSrf, UnrollSrfUV, ApplyCrv, CreateUVCrv, and FlowAlongSrf.

1 Like

Flattening operations

• FlattenSrf - never used it
  • Smash, Squish - 2 different ways to flatten non-developable surfaces. Squish is generally considered to work better, but Smash may give better results in certain cases.
  • SquishBack - reverses the Squish operation
  • SquishInfo - shows certain info from a “squished” object

(I rarely use any of the above, but recently I did do a project that used a lot of Squish.)

• UnrollSrf - “Unrolls” developable surfaces - current (V5+) version
  • UnrollSrfUV - The old (V4 and earlier) method of unrolling - may be somewhat different than V5

Mapping operations

• CreateUVCrv - “Maps” the edges of a surface and any curves on it to a rectangle on the World XY plane that represents its underlying NURBS UV - things get distorted according to the amount of stretch undergone, but the relative relationships are preserved.

• ApplyCrv - The inverse operation of the above. Useful in getting curve geometry in “flat” space (back) onto a curved surface. The above are mapping operations, not projections.

• Flow - Maps (transforms) some geometry from one “curve space” to another “curve space”

• FlowAlongSrf - Maps (transforms) some geometry from one “surface space” to another “surface space”

None of these are identical or interchangeable. However, perhaps the Squish and Smash operations could be combined into one with options.

–Mitch

2 Likes

Same with Project and ProjectToCPlane (I don’t care if the transformation mechanics are different).

It’s not just the “transformation mechanics” that are different. The purposes are also completely different.

Project projects curves and points (no surfaces) onto an arbitrary collection of surfaces, polysurfaces and meshes. In V5, the projection direction is limited to the View CPlane direction, in V6 you have more direction options such as a custom projection vector.

ProjectToCPlane “flattens” objects (including surfaces/polysurfaces) to the current CPlane.

–Mitch

Ok, fine. Then don’t use “Project” in ProjectToCPlane.