Can rhino mimmick result from 3D printer as to layer stepping effects?

Hi,
V5
printing an object to 3D printer abs material (support material process as opposed to fdm).
bureau has no pre print visual, of any quality.
Can Rhino show what the object would look like if printed in 190 microns, also 140 microns ?

regards how the surfaces would look, how compound curves look, in different orientations of the model ?

I have a 9mm dia helix thread which if printed horiz sees a fine bar run along its length, and when vertical sees a marring type channel snaking down the thread.

maybe sort of pixelate layer an object, then fillet edge the resulting layers to get the rounded nature of the filament edges.

I then start also wondering if any special effects exist and can be used, could be quite artistic :slight_smile:

Steve

Rhino has no tool to do that.
I know RhinoCAM has a “simulation” tool that shows what’s left from the stock block after a milling operation, but I’m not seen anything like what you describe for 3d printing.

Hi John,
It would be EXTREMELY USEFUL to visualise a part before abs has its wicked layering way.

Rhino gets used for the model making, and this would enable tweaks to the model for any obvious problem areas.

Anyone able to suggest how one could slice an object into layers, sort of egg slicer command :slight_smile:
make perp faces to the results, then maybe fillet the edges, though sharp edges might suffice though less visually matching the abs result.

Steve

Sounds like a good opportunity for a third-party developer to me.

Agree,

Have we any bright sparks on the forum meanwhile that can suggest a step by step method to egg slice the model in 0.19mm slices, and also 0.14mm slices.
then remove sloping faces and replace with vert ones.

Steve

You might be able to do that with an SLC (slice) file and extrude each curve slice by your build depth.

Hi John. can you point me to where I can find out about SLC slice files ?

Steve

Try the “Modelworks” command.

You could just use the Contour command to make the slices for extruding. Beware, creating slices like this can create a pretty heavy file. Also fairly easy to create a Grasshopper definition to do this, which should be lighter if you only use it for visualization.

–Mitch

Hello

Catchword: Try Voxelization:
https://zmorph3d.com/products/voxelizer-software
Under → File → Set Voxel Size → Save and restart for new settings
Import as STL
On the left below click Voxelize

Mesh

Voxel

1 Like

eddi,
This is interesting, but not really a simulation of slices as needed for any current additive manufacturing methods (SLA/SLS/FDM).

Steve,
As Mitch mentioned just use the contour command, then extrude the curves. But beware, this can bring a machine to its knees if geometry is complex, and the file will get super heavy with high density contours. Rhino always seems to pull through though, doesn’t crash. Test on a small model first.
This method will demonstrate Rhino’s built-in ‘animated progress bar’ feature… :grinning:

Instead to fight with contour, do not forget “Section Tools” (Link), command stCreateArray, works on mesh and surfaces.

-regards

Do need it to work within Rhino why not just use one of the many third party slicer programs that are available if you just want to accurately visualise a simulation in different orientations / print resolutions and the effects on quality of finish?