Can my pipe command result be 3 or 4 strand roped?

I believe peacock plugin has some tools for that

Just for your interest, @Joseph_Culbert: here is the rope rendered in Rhino 7 with a Substance material (Climbing Rope):

which looks like a pretty good braided rendition, but needs more tweaking as the seam does not match (see the right hand side).

Or as a coil:

Jeremy

Nice climbing rope Jeremy. That must be using surface mapping right? Do you subscribe to Substance? I found that climbing rope but it wouldn’t let me download.

I thought about your 3 strand helix last night and just tried that technique and it looks great using a Substance metal wire material.

I guess it really should be a 1x19 stranded construction but that would get pretty heavy file wise.

Yep, surface mapping with some hefty scaling, and some tweaking to get displacement to play nice with Rhino. I also rebuilt Steve’s original curve so that I got a single pipe without a series of joints as that led to lots of discontinuities in the material. Seemed easier than identifying which bit was which on the UV map and lining them up…

I started subscribing to Substance recently because I felt a lot of free materials had shortcomings and I liked the idea of parametrically adjustable ones, particularly for wear and tear. I also wanted the ability to build my own materials - but that comes with a steep learning curve…

1 Like

Well you seem to have a good grasp of Substance, thanks for chiming in here.

1 Like

Jeremy,

What got me interested in this thread was how to get more convincing rope/cable/cord via advanced texturing rather than modeled strands and such as Steve was trying to do. I do yacht design and often do complicated rigging plans and find block and tackle components where the rope (line on boats!) have to turn sheaves and have had lots of trouble in the past getting the straight and curved segments to match but seem to have it sorted out now. This carbon fiber SBSAR for the sheaves and also a nice simple SBSAR rope look pretty good but I wish I had your double braid climbing rope to compare. I'm not a fan of Adobe (Substance) new subscription pricing but I guess 30 dowmnloads of their nice material for $12/month isn't bad. I got this rope off of the Substance Share page, wonder how they keep their climbing rope from getting shared there?  Have you looked at Quixel?

Have you used the Substance 30-day free trial? - that gives access to Source.