Building a SubD model from a scanned pencil drawing

Hi all, I’m looking for a way to speed up the process of building a SubD model from a scanned monochrome pencil drawing.

It’s a relatively large and complex geometric drawing and so far I’ve been creating individual SubD faces with a mouse so it’s taking me a very long time.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can speed up the process?

Perhaps a way to use the black/white contrast of the scanned drawing to automate the creation of SubD faces that I can use as a starting point?

Any help or links to resources would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Sheltie

1 Like

Hi
You didn’t provide anything to comment on.
I guess as a starting place, and based on your description, Kyle’s SubD “paperdoll” tutorial might be appropriate:

2 Likes

Thank you John, that is very useful - there are loads of tips and techniques in that tutorial which I wasn’t aware of.

It’s still quite a labour intensive process though! I guess I’ll need to make more coffee and get on with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

can you post a image of the pencil ?

there a few basic sub-D starting workflows

• drawing individual face - is most labour intensive
  • start with a primitive or multiple primitives and bridge them, extrude faces… with some limitations (cup)
  • start from the most significant view, draw a planar subD silhouette and extrude it (paperdoll)
  • quadremesh if you already have nurbs / scan data
  • combine above workflows
2 Likes

indeed. highly recommended.

Just a quick email to thank everyone for their help so far. I’m working through the links and tutorials and making some good progress :grinning:

1 Like