Build my own PC? Good idea or bad? What do you think of this configuration with an i9?

Built using https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fRLhBb . Do you think these components would jive well together or am I missing something? Ive never built my own so I dont want to get into a world of trouble.

Intel - Core i9-7900X 3.3GHz 10-Core Processor

GRAPHICS: PNY - Quadro M4000 8GB Video Card

Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

Asus - STRIX X299-E GAMING ATX LGA2066 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Rosewill - Stryker M ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Asus - PB258Q 25.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor

Razer - Cynosa Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard

Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

Well, I’d say to get a GTX 2080ti, or whatever your budget is in a GTX instead of the Quadro, if you aren’t going to get the absolute top of the line Quadro don’t bother.

You’re also going to want much more than a 500GB SDD, they are coming down in price.

I guess you’ll also want to get your RAM in 4X8 GB sticks instead of 2 X 16, so that you can use the 4 available channels.

I would recommend making room for a bigger monitor.

Why Home OEM ? …I would not choose OEM, anyway.

Thanks Jim. I was under the impression that even the lower end Quadro cards outperform top end GTX cards… but that’s just from surface level research. Anyone: Is there any conclusive comparison that shows the reality of this comparison?

I would rather go with a GTX 2080ti over quadro. Thanks for your suggestion. The build is already over $4k, which is above my budget… and with technology evolving at an accelerated rate, these builds become obsolete in shorter and shorter intervals. Basicaly 2 years is about the value span of a new build… at $4k with about a 10 months per year use (in my industry), that’s $200/month ($50/week)… A $5K build comes to $250/month (or $63/week)… just running the numbers for myself when I refer back to this. (Im talking Canadian prices btw unfortunately).

I dont know the difference.

It’s clearly not the case with Rhino. With some more archaic CAD software yes a Quadro is almost needed becuase that’s what it was coded on and they’re not testing with anything else.

I actually find that progress is slowing down, unless you can really leverage video cards(in which case the rest of your system is almost irrelevant, it just has to be good enough to not get in the way,) and even in that case the new Nvidia cards came out TWO YEARS after the last generation, but the 2080ti is only like 30% faster than the 1080ti on normal tasks that don’t leverage the RTX cores–which right now is almost all of them.

The #1 advantage of an NON-oem licence (beside others) is to format your hard drive, and reinstall your system at will (no restriction).
For the graphic card , it depends on your choice : do you want to play video games or not. In a word, does your future machine is intended for work or leisure or both.

I would get this motherboard as it has one of the best power delivery solutions and 10 Gb Ethernet plus Wifi is built in. I got mine (8 months old and going strong) at Newegg.

They are on Auto Notify right now but could be back in stock soon. High ratings in latest review on Tom’s Hardware:

For GPU I recommend Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti as they are now on sale, close in performance to latest RTX card and have better availability.

I’ve been building PCs a very long time and have as yet to bump in to the limits on reinstalls with “OEM” Windows, and that’s the only benefit, and the retail box version still has limitations that will eventually necessitate a call to Microsoft.

…And that’s what the sales pitch for Quadro cards is based on. The most popular software(like Rhino) is designed to run on the hardware people actually have. Except for older Intel integrated video, that stuff is just garbage.

Maybe also interesting is the i9 9900K. OK, 10% less all-core-performance but more speed at no-all-core processes like Rhino. Also price less than the half of the 7900X. Sounds like a good deal for Rhino.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i9-7900X+%40+3.30GHz&id=3035
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i9-9900K+%40+3.60GHz&id=3334

The saved money could be invest in a quicker GPU in some months/years or in 64GB RAM now. I like large RAM, since it makes the life easier.

Also I would buy a GTX1080ti. It’s very fast, the memory is large and the price is very good. I use it for Rhino and Enscape and I’m very happy.

At this way you could keep your budget and get a powerful Rhino work station.

1 Like

I am using both types of cards every day. I have a Dell workstation for engineering computations, and rendering which has a Quadro installed and mostly I am working on a gaming notebook. I am aware that this is not a fair comparison, but honestly, I can not tell the exact difference of video cards. They both have advantages and disadvantages.
For a long time everyone adviced that, if you were using your computer for engineering purposes or using CAD tools, you had to buy a Quadro.

I believe everyone, including me, was unhappy for paying a bunch of money to video cards. But with the development of GPU and the updates of software, gaming cards work well up to a level. In some cases, some specified software still requires Quadro, but as JimCarruthers mentioned, If you are not going to buy top level, You can use GTX too.

By the way, I used to have an HP mobile workstation with Quadro card and played World of Warcraft and some other games with it. You just need to accept mid-level graphics quality =)