Bug: Named Selection not Saved in File

@BrianJ
Named selections are not saved in file and get lost when closing and re-opening the document. Please see screen recording below. Thanks, S

@silvano I could not repeat that here in a quick test. Can you send me _SystemInfo?

@Gijs Thanks for looking into it. Please find _SystemInfo below:

Rhino 7 SR28 2023-2-27 (Rhino 7, 7.28.23058.03001, Git hash:master @ 4ffc5d7156fbccf2a5d9fcc80e522b3851bc7f6c)
License type: Educational, build 2023-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [99% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 2-2-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 528.49
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-16-2022 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- There are no monitors attached to this device. Laptop lid is probably closed

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 2-2-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.2849
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\VisualARQ.rhp “VisualARQ”
C:\Users\silvano\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\EleFront\4.2.2\ElefrontProperties.rhp “ElefrontProperties” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Tibidabo.rhp “Tibidabo”
C:\Users\silvano\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SubstanceImporter\2.0.3\Substance.Win.rhp “SubstanceImporter” 2.0.3.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”

@silvano can you (temporarily) disable all plugins that don’t ship with rhino and see if the problem persists. If not, enable them one by one to find the offending one. Thanks.

1 Like

@silvano I can’t repeat this as well. My hunch is that it has to do with the VisualArq plugin not saving this information to the objects created with it.

1 Like

@Gijs @BrianJ Thanks for looking into this. I can confirm that this is caused by the VisualArq plugin.
@enric Please see the above bug with selections being deleted. It does not happen, when Tibidao and the VA plugin are not loaded. Thanks

Hi @silvano,

I could reproduce the issue as well. I have reported it to find a solution so I will let you know when we have news.

@silvano,

I’ve been debugging the issue, and it’s in fact a bug in Rhino.

More in detail:

• The “Named Selection” panel reads the stored selections on a temporary buffer when the document is opened, but the panel is filled on an Idle event after the document is completely read.
  • If any plug-in (like VisualARQ) makes any change in a document object in the EndOpenDocument event, as this event is fired before the first Idle event, the “Named Selection” receives a notification that document has changed.
  • If the panel is visible and active (the bug doesn’t happen if the panel is not active), the panel checks if any document change affects the stored selection, but as the first Idle event hasn’t yet been processed, the panel is still empty. When this happens, the panel discards the temporary buffer (I personally don’t understand why).
  • Finally, the Idle event is fired, but as the buffer is empty all stored named selections are lost.

There is nothing that we can do in VisualARQ to fix this issue. In fact, I’m sure I can replicate this issue without using any third-party plug-in… Anyway, I will write a very simple plug-in and report this issue in the McNeel bug-track.

Thanks for reporting it!

Enric

2 Likes

@enric Thanks for the thorough investigation and for adding it to the Rhino bug tracker. May you post the youtrack item here, so I can follow it? Thanks.

@enric @pascal Is there any progress made on this on Rhino’s end? What’s the release target for this bug on youtrack? We are having serious issues because of it. Not all our users are running VA or other plugins that cause the bug. They are also not aware of it. Then a user with VA opens and saves a file of a non VA user and all their stored selections are gone. It is causing havoc in project teams and serious frustrations with my students.

Hi @silvano,

I’m sorry but I completely forgot to create the issue in McNeel bugtrack, so they are not aware of this bug. I’ll report it as soon as possible.

Anyway, I don’t think this bug will be fixed in Rhino 7, as McNeel is completely focused on Rhino 8.

Enric

I’m thinking of a workaround fix for Rhino 7: VisualARQ may try to detect if the “Named Selections” panel is open and active, and when a document is opened, close it or make another panel active, as this bug happens only when the panel is active.

Enric

1 Like

@enric: That would be great. Thanks a ton!