Bug: Attribute user text

Hi

There appears to be a bug with the Attribute user text. I’ve noticed that sometimes when I select an object and then select the User Attribute Text panel, nothing appears. It seems to be intermittent and I haven’t been able to troubleshoot it to narrow it down to when it occurs. It only happens when Grasshopper is running. I am using clusters plus a few plug-ins: Human, HumanUI, Elefront & Metahopper. But there are no live changes happening to the Rhino model (like baking new attribute values).

Has anyone experienced this and if so, can anyone suggest why this might be happening?

Thanks

Paul

1 Like

@DavidRutten @andheum @AlanTai have you come across this problem?

Sorry I can’t be more specific about the problem. I haven’t been able to identify the cause. I don’t know if it is a bug with Rhino/Grasshopper or a conflict of some sort between the various plug-ins. I’m running Rhino 6 SR 12.19 with Grasshopper.

This is how it should be:

This is how sometimes it displays:

Thanks

Hi Paul, Does this also happen when you have GH running but without having a definition loaded?
Could you run the Rhino SystemInfo command and paste the result here? Thanks.

is it just a matter of the display in that dialog? if you run the GetUserText command in Rhino do the strings still show up? or are they actually somehow getting wiped?

It is only a problem when I am running a GH definition. Rhino on its own or when Grasshopper is open but no definition loaded works OK.

The user text is still there. I can run GetUserText and get the info. As a workaround I am using reading those values in HumanUI with Elefront and Human. So they are definitely in the document.

@wim here is the system info

////
Rhino 6 SR12 2019-1-29 (Rhino 6, 6.12.19029.6381, Git hash:master @ ae9d7fba5fda0b43002dc44a34e059a9a382db04)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-01-29
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Paul Wintour ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-4DP0KC6

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 5-1-2017 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.05

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-1-2017
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8205
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Geometry Gym\Rhino3d\ggRhinoIFC.rhp “ggRhinoIFC” 1.7.6.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\MeshTools.rhp “MeshTools”

@parametricmonkey1 I have this problem a lot too. Quick work around is to toggle between another property tab. Eg click on Atribute User Text, if it’s blank, click on Properties and back on Atribute User Text. Refreshes every time.

@dharman hmm it doesn’t for me. Is it the same for you, i.e. only when running a grasshopper definition or is it happening all the time?

Driver Date: 5-1-2017

Hi - I would give updating those GPU drivers a try.

The drivers are up to date - version 382.05

version 382.05

I’m not sure if you are saying that you updated the drivers now.

In the Notifications panel, do you see a driver update recommendation?

Don’t rely on Windows to tell you whether the drivers are up-to-date. In the Notifications panel, you can click Details and then eventually get to the NVIDIA site - it looks like there’s a driver available for your GPU that is 6 days old:

What happens if you use the Elefront Properties tab? The Elefront download zip file on Food4Rhino includes ElefrontProperties.rhp, which is very similar to the User Attribute Text Panel.

Hi @wim

Thanks for pointing this out. This is weird. Using the Nvidia control panel is says there is no update.

But you go to the website and there is an update. I’ve updated it now with v419.17 but am still having issues. Refer next response…

So I convinced now it is a Rhino bug.

Without Grasshopper open, Elefront tab shows as expected

Same for normal user text tab

Running Grasshopper I can get the values with Human and visualise with HumanUI

Running Grasshopper Elefront shows correctly

It is just the Rhino user text tab that doesn’t show. As I said it only happens sometime so not sure what’s happening

Any ideas? @wim @DavidRutten

Hi Paul,
Since this only happens (sometimes) when you have a specific Grasshopper definition loaded (using 3rd party plug-ins) I’m afraid that the next step is to try to narrow down which components in that definition trigger this behavior.

If you can make a definition with only out-of-the-box components, please post that here.

Hi All,

I am experiencing a very similar issue. The UserAttributePanel appears completely blank, but I can still call all the values that are inside.

I have had unreliable success by running the following code in a GH Python component. Every 5th or 6th time I open up this code and run it on the GH Canvas, Rhino will suddenly display all the keys and values I have loaded to the Document User Attribute text.

Note, I am adding information to the document, not individual objects.

Here is the code that sometimes helps:

import scriptcontext as sc
import Rhino as rc

sc.doc = rc.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc
rs.SetDocumentUserText('testkey', 'testValue')
type or paste code here