Box clustering with Kangaroo2

Hi Daniel, hi All,

i was trying to set up a box clustering simulation in Kangaroo2 as shown in this video (boxes with fixed orientations).

With the BoxCollide goal missing in KG2 i am currently using the SolidPointCollide goal in combination with Collider goal (applied to diagonals along the faces of the box).

While this setup seems to work well it slows down the overall simulation significantly.
Is there a more efficient way to do this when only colliding boxes?

Pls find attached a simplified version of the script and a screenshot of the configuration of collision goals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Leo

Kangaroo2 BoxCollision.gh (42.4 KB)

Hi Leo,

I had forgotten all about BoxCollide (I never really heard much about people using it in the old version). Thanks for reminding me. I always thought it had some interesting potential for space planning, and it would be good to revisit that.
It was quite a simple one, so I think shouldn’t be hard to add a goal for this to K2.
Also thanks for pointing out the bug with the volume component.

Hi Daniel,

i am indeed intending to use the box collision for space planning. Pretty sure it would still be a very useful tool despite the little feedback you got so far.
I can share some results in case we get it to work. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help,
Leo

I had a look at the old BoxCollide in Kangaroo 1, and there’s a bit more to it than I was remembering, so making an equivalent goal for K2 won’t be instant, but still certainly possible. I’ll try and post something soon.