Boolean subtract

this is my subd. I need to put sockets in on each side. the sockets need to be flat and the size needs to be exact. I don’t know how to accomplish this with a subd object so I created 2 solid disks and then do a boolean subtract to get the sockets on each side. in the result pic it shows the sockets but the rounded end is very lumpy, don’t know what else to call it. how can i smooth that out?
new head-export.3dm (1.3 MB)

1 Like

Hi David - my guess is that radial face arrangement is to blame here - it is the most propblematic to convert to nurbs. If by chance - just a guess - you started with a SubD sphere and used the UV style, I would try a sphere using the quad style, which won’t start you off with one of these.

I think that will be more tractable, but there are SubD wizards like @theoutside who will have more to say…

-Pascal

1 Like

I started with a cylinder.
now I have started over with what you show with the quad.

Thanks!

1 Like

you could probably do quad remesh subd on this:

before boolean. And the remesh might give you a quad layout that fits better – rather than starting over with different sphere shape.

Ultimately, the quad remesh might reveal a better layout anyway. It’s not perfect but that’s one aspect I like about quad remesh. It has a way of finding the potential better iso-flow. Ofcourse depends how you use it though.

ah… it’s your extraordinary vertex setting in the subd options of ToNurbs

set it to g0 and the problem goes away and it matches your input 1-1

setting it to g1 or higher forces the model to adjusts to meet the g1 or higher criteria

when you did the boolean directly to the subd, it ran tonurbs with the incorrect ext vertex setting applied and gave you lumps

1 Like

Hi Kyle - the SubD is on a layer in the file above.

-Pascal

1 Like

saw that… edited my response with an actual correct answer… :wink:

2 Likes

fwiw, this layout may with some additional editing by you, yield a nicer part in the end.

new head-export_k_suggest.3dm (1.5 MB)

2 Likes

sorry for the delay. takes me a while to try these suggestions.
Thanks for the help!, i will see what i can make work