Boolean operations

Every time I am feeling confident with Rhino it makes me humble again. I am trying to build a core that I can use as a subtraction from another solid. I am using cylinders, spheres and rectangles to build the object. Depiction below:

. After much manipulation I have been successful at joining what you see in yellow but the remining solid will not join as I get Boolean Union failed nor will it join the two pieces.

I wish there was a dialogue that came up to tell me why it failed or a tutorial that poped up to tell me how to fix the problem as I am expending significant time trying to troubleshoot this issue.

Please post the model. Someone will be able to help.

The model LE CH build.3dm (120.3 KB)

You have two closed polysrfs. On the ‘big’ one, remove the flat faces. Then explode the ‘cigar’ member and split with the ‘big’ one. Then they will join.

clk

ChrisK,

Is there a tutorial or manual that you could recommend to help me familiarize myself with Boolean operations in Rhino.

You could start here…

–Mitch

What I described had no Boolean functions. Remove flat faces with extractsrf, delete flat faces with delete, explode cigar with explode, split remains with split.

I don’t like Booleans.

clk

You are in a classic Boolean failure situation. This situation is described in the Help. http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/information/troubleshoot_boolean_operations.htm