Bongo 3 Development

Hi all,

I’ve been working on the development of Bongo 3 and wanted to share some more of the progress. Below are a few of the animations I’ve created with the new features I’ve added to Bongo.

One of the things that interests me as I continue the development of Bongo 3 is what problems you’re hoping to solve with physics based movement. These can influence development going forward and help make Bongo 3 the best it can be. So let’s discuss that here.

16 Likes

Hi @Joshua_Kennedy,

very cool. What 3d physics library are you using? Just curious.

Thanks

Michael

That’s using Bullet Physics

2 Likes

I would like to see dotnet library as well as a set of GH components.

I’d really love to try the beta. There’s really not much to say without testing. Just seeing pretty videos is not enough. I can create similar video mimicking gravity and collision. I actually already did that with Rhino5 + Bongo 2.0.

Do you have plans to release the beta accessible with Bongo 2.0 license?

Nitpick: the question was what problem you’re hoping to solve with physics based movement…

Physics is the problem…time+objects,lerp-ing,force,velocity,acceleration, a concept of material properties (ideal solid of course), collision…etc.

(update: a concept of character rigging, will be an useful thing. More alike Blender, not Bongo2, also supporting morphing while moving objects,like blender)

Having the engine, the only thing left is the API.

I’d pre-purchase Bongo3 if I have to.

BTW, Bongo 2.0 is rather useless currently.
I only found one application (the video above).
Usage is tedious, IK doesn’t work very well. I hope the physics engine will make it more useful.

:smiley: Thanks for this word, didn’t know it. I tend to do that, didn’t know the word though.

Instead of working on v3 I would much rather see this critical bug fixed in v2 https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/BO-2912
Last I could tell it was still not fixed

1 Like

There are other bugs that I’ve found, but I simply don’t care too much to report.

If they are moving to dotnet and integrating a physics engine I doubt these bugs will be fixed.

It was however, on February 12, 2019 in RS 8. See Bongo 2.0 Development [McNeel Wiki] 4th last item.

Yet, reporting a bug is highly appreciated!

Yes, and I know how valuable this is to you, but as I said, usability is tedious. If I come across a bug or I am unable to do my task with Bongo. I prefer to spend my time looking for an alternative solution.

Your choise.

That is pretty much what @Joshua_Kennedy has been working on. Maybe he can also add the videos he already created earlier with mass based on material, forces, etc are shown.

From the above list pretty much everything is there.

I guess you want things like events on collisions and such?

1 Like

Yes, exactly.

Also a possibility to manipulate the physics laws inside the engine.

For example:
Free fall is one thing, but having air resistance is something worth having if one is to get the terminal velocity of an object given its form.
How about ballistics trajectory with air resistance?

news to me, thanks!

I’m hoping in the near future it’ll be in a position for a beta. There still may be a round or two more of internal testing that needs done first.

Can you expand a bit on this. Which part of the usage is tedious? What doesn’t work with the IK? Is there a specific issue you cannot solve?

This is something I hope to be able to support. Per object gravity, animatable physics properties (friction, mass) etc.

The tedious part is the assigning and rotation of pivot points. Sometimes in order to move a group of objects (breps) as a single body you have to create IK hierarchy and assign them as children of a point. That point then goes in the IK.

The problem with the IK is that you cannot assign two parents to a single object.

Think of a car, or simpler, a bike. You want that bike to move along a rough terrain (a wavy curve). Now, you set one point to move along the curve attached to the front wheel. In order to make the bike move naturally you have to create 10000 keyframes adjusting the rear wheel to the curvature.

There should be a way to attach the bike to two points and depending on the position of these two points (which will move along the curve) the bikes position and rotation should follow the IK logic combining the two points.

I also find it difficult to make a Dock Crane IK.
You have one П looking object that moves in e.g. X direction. This П body has inside another bodi moving along the horizontal part. Then you have another body attached to that second body that moves along Z axis. So far so good. I got that happening. Now, Place a point on that 3rd body and make it move along a curve that defines the IK logic. It seems very easy thing to do when you think of it, but when you start doing that in Bongo2 it is not that easy at all.

How about using Rhino Layer hierarchy for IK hierarchy?
Or some other more integrated way?

I agree that the pivot part is tedious but that has more to do with Rhino than Bongo.

Often with something like this you need to rethink how you use the IK

IK sometimes needs some helper objects to help get the result you wanted. I was able to mock up a bicycle with IK in the way you mentioned rather quickly. I’ve attached the model so you can see how I managed to get it working. Basically, you can constrain a point to follow the curve and the other to stay on the curve. The frame ends up being the parent of both. Then you can animate wheels that just serve as visualization to appear as though they are rotating correctly in Bongo 2.

I think with physics it would be much easier though since you could make the wheels children of the frame and push it with force. It would also make the it look much more realistic since the wheels would spin with the ground correctly. It would also jump a little with the bumps and provide a much more believable animation. I’ll try to make sure something like that is possible.

I imagine the case is similar with the crane example. The IK can sometimes require some out of the box thinking.

Bike.3dm (116.1 KB)

1 Like