Benz concept car wheel

This is benz concept car’s wheel , i don’t know how to do this ,do you have idea to make it.please tell me somes hints .very very thank you!!

That’s the definition of kitsch (and a pig to clean). Better try to do some proper wheel > go for the ultimate maker:

https://bbs.com/en/

3 Likes

I’m thinking that it must be just a hub cap - which you could take off and put in the dishwasher - as there is no concept of wheelnuts.

Hi, its under the Grasshopper category but its still unlikely that it was made by script.At least the final shape. Its a rotational element and so you model one spike and then just rotational array it. The reason why I wouldn’t do that with Grasshopper (exclusively), is because of the fact that it has some complex cornerblends. With the current set of components, you cannot create complex surface models. And nobody does that in automotive.

Apart from the design, it looks like a unique concept part. The surface quality seems not super high. Likely, the result of a Sub-D surface model. And it’s questionable if you can mass produce it like this.

I know it only use 3d print, i want to make this model .only to practice

Can you properly model a conventional rim?

@sunlightworking This is only a start but you could have fun using SubD to model it, break the shape into 2 repeating ‘arms’ that then join together.

3 Likes

Ok,make a unit ,then rotate 360,this is a good way. Do you think it can make only by grasshopper?

Practice with classic proper stuff first.

Note: Rhino is a surface modeller meaning that easy/elementary things [like contour fillets and the likes] with, say, CATIA/NX are almost impossible with Rhino. That said the attached is not made with Rhino.

Wheel_TTS_R23_ForgetOnePiece_Street.3dm (4.4 MB)

1 Like

Thanks, i know, i can use alias.i think benz’idea is very good. And ,this wheel can’t to make by nurbs. So it is mush or subd.

It can be made with Nurbs/Bezier surfaces. It doesn’t necessarily need to be an idea of Mercedes-Benz employees as well, but that another story. It just doesn’t make sense to do these kinds of things with Grasshopper. That is the point. If you know how you can model such a shape, you can think about automating it.

2 Likes

If you want to be able to change the number of branches my approach could be useful

Hi! Except for jpczthefish I can only read posts like: look somewhere else, it’s not nice, do something else…quite strange answers for solutions…however:

For me it looks like two evolved surfaces that have arrayPolar some arranged ovals, projected them to the corresponding surfaces and trimmed out. offset srf, slightly rotate and create a volume from it.

I really think it’s possible to create even in Nurbs, but the most important at this wheel (or hub cap, I don’t even have a drivers licence;)) is the analysis of the geometry itself.
fgh

(sorry my horrible paint skills)

I think you can get very close to that with these commands. maybe adding some pipe and filletEdge.

However,

jpczthefish said you could use SubD, which would be a very good approach, as it’s pretty organic.

Good luck with your practice and don’t hesitate to ask questions if you’re stuck. Whatever will be the output, you will surely learn tons of things by trying to obtain a complex form like this.

a good video about that s quite close, but a bit less cmplex than your image can be helpful:

Do not assume any level of engineering or validation when looking at “concept cars”. Some are nothing more than push-mobiles.

Are you suggesting that knowing how to model is needed to “automate” modeling? A lot of want-to-be designers won’t like hearing that.

2 Likes

I would build simpler wheel models and work your way up to that benz wheel. The example wheel you show is doable, but quite complex on many levels.

Here are a couple examples that may help:

1. https://youtu.be/gxkYTWuf0t8
  2. Star Wheel | Parametric House
  3. Sometimes Marco’s presentations help understand how to do this. There are wheels in this here: Introduction to Grasshopper for Designers (Free Webinar Recording) - Car Body Design
  4. And more examples that may inspire a solution you may want: Rhino Grasshopper Tutorials | Parametric House
  5. Om. egvo - YouTube
1 Like

Thanks everyone, i learn many form this discourse forum.

1 Like

It appears that the wheel is composed of two similar geometric volumes with each one rotated to a different degree. This creates the interwoven relationship.