Over the past few months I’ve been exploring auxetics particularly tri-hexagonal auxetics. I was inspired by thispaper and I wanted to see if I could create something similar. I’ve shared my algorithm here as I think I have gotten as far as I can by myself and would appreciate other people’s input. This is my first real grasshopper project and so it is kind of bodged in areas and is somewhat of a hackjob of different algorithms.
Firstly it creates an expanded form!
Then the form is reversed:
Next it can be flattened
Simulating the expansion:
I used blender to simulate the expansion, i suppose the idealy kangaroo would be used howevever I have not delved into that yet. You can also see that the simulated form is not exactly the same as the pre expanded form however it is a good start.
I believe that in order to move the project forward, I need to move from working with nurbs to working with meshes. I also think there needs to be a more accurate relationship between the expansion, and shape of the surface, so the triangles could be kept of a constant size.
I would love to get peoples feed back. Thanks
To see more of my auxetic related work: