Auxcetic Structure Collision

Hi! I am doing a work on auxcetic structures and I am trying to do a simulation on grasshopper. My idea is to create a shell structure with the bowtie I created.

For the study I am doing, a need to see how its behaviour will be when it collides with a sphere. I tried with a various ideas, but the only way it works is based on Alphonso Peluso “Kangaroo Drape and Collide”, but I have a problem. Once the simulation starts, my structure breaks and is divided in various parts, instead of one big structure. Does anyone know what may be happening? Greetings!

BowTie_2.2.gh (32.7 KB)

Your mesh consists of many meshes which do not have coincident points. Hence the mesh falls apart.

I think you could have just a network of lines for the collision and create the mesh afterwards.

Below is an example that works with just the internalized input curves and 8 anchor points. Of course the whole definition could be optimized for more parametric manipulation… depends a bit what you really want to do.

BowTie_2.2.gh (54.6 KB)

I added a workflow to generate a flat 2D “mesh” for laser cutting. It’s half of a multipipe projected to the XY plane.

1 Like

A different solution to create the bow tie…

bowtie_mrtn.gh (53.6 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you Martin! I am really grateful!

A have a couple of questiones:

-Do you know if instead of anchor points, I can make a line anchor?

-I am working with with not only bowtie structures, but also with sinusoidal and arrow head auxcetic structures. I tried applying the same concept that you uploaded, but for some reason I get null results. Do you know what may be happening? (I am kind of new with grasshopper…)

3th Eigenmodes Quadratic Lattice .gh (28.5 KB)
Arrowhead.gh (29.0 KB)

Greetings!

Did you notice how you can move the anchors in my definition further apart?

What’s a line anchor? Maybe illustrate with a sketch…

I just looked at your Arrowhead structures and the problem is mostly how you create it in GH. It seems rather complicated to start with rectangular (quad) cells. Instead you could create one element and repeat it.

Below is a solution for the arrowhead structure.

Arrowhead.gh (45.6 KB)

The Eigenmode shape has to be divided so it consists of polylines and no arcs. Kangaroo requires lines. Not sure what goals to add to make this look more accurate.

3th Eigenmodes Quadratic Lattice .gh (47.5 KB)

1 Like

Thank you Martin! I all ready solved the “line attractor problem”. Thanks again, very grateful for your help!

DUPLICATE (related?) thread: