Accelerated Rhino Learning

Hello all,

This isn’t a specifc tool question, but I was inspired by Tim Ferriss’ accelerated learning methodology (DSSS) and one of the steps was interview those who have mastered the skill. I have absolutely no background in 3D modeling, Photoshop, or any sort of design tools. However, I am passionate and dedicated to learning this program as quickly as possible. If anyone has the time, I would really appreciate answers from some Rhino Masters. I spend at least 1-2 hours every weekday studying and 6-8 hours on the weekend.

What kind of background did you have related to 3D modeling before you started Rhino?

What are the biggest beginner mistakes?

What areas are the biggest waste of time?

What areas should I focus on if I want to do product design? Prototyping with 3D printing first then going into production. I’m trying to focus on simple organic shapes for “cute” cartoonish animal shapes.

I’m teaching myself, after studying from Lynda courses, what’s the next step I should take?

What tips do you have when you start to model something? Lines, surfaces, solids? How do you determine how to start?

If I only have 4 weeks to learn Rhino, what should my training look like?

Thank you all.

I started off with 3D software called shade but Rhino is first to study and use continuously.

The forum is the best place for when you get stuck. The people are really nice and response is ultra fast.

For training I recommend video on vimeo or youtube.
Ones by Kyle H. and Brian James are really good and easy to follow.
These are good.

Other thing I find good is looking at real life objects and draw on paper, I’m not good at drawing but it helps to have a 3D view of objects.
Is it made up of rotating parts?Is it something that can be done with flow command?..etc.
I feel it’s a good exercise even if you don’t draw…

1 Like

There are different ways to learn Rhino (by taking courses in person or online, or by learning from yourself.) If you let me here, here are my suggestions: Golden rule for the beginner: better 1 hour of great video tutorials, 3 hours Personal experiments.
Rhino allows you to get a result in different ways (eg you could build a surface starting from 4 curves in at least 4 different ways) How do you know which is the best time saving? I did so: after learning the basic commands And basic techniques I started to follow tutorial videos of whole projects (such as a car) When I used a command or technique I did not know I stopped the video and tried to reproduce it This method allowed me to grow If you use Rhino for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 years, there are still so many things to learn …
To date … the most important thing I learned is that Rhino is not the software best suited to work with the mesh (in the sense that it is not suitable for creating a project working ONLY with mesh, is not suited for organic modeling ( as a human figure). the Rhino learning curve is initially very fast, but then, to get the best results you have to be very creative, or learn who it is. but i could never leave Rhino.

1 Like