About the type of surface made by Grasshopper

Hello everyone.

I’m trying to simulate refraction model by called “Sonic”.
It can simulate light rays by inputting tow refracting surface.

However, it is not possible to input surfaces created with Grasshopper.

Surface types that work well are written as “Referenced Surface”.
On the other hand, made by the Grasshopper is written as “Untrimmed Surface”.

How can I make or change the surface made of Grasshopper as “Referenced Surface”.

Thanks in advance and wish you a happy new year.

Refract_created_srf.3dm (52.9 KB)
Refract_created_srf.gh (49.2 KB)

Hello,

“Referenced” simply means the surface is in Rhino and was saved in a Surface parameter in Grasshopper. You can’t reference a surface that is only in Grasshopper.
Trimmed/Untrimmed refers to the “entirety” of the surface : it’s trimmed if it was somehow cut by a set of curves, to make it smaller, or cut holes for instance. It’s untrimmed if it doesn’t have any piece removed, which is generally the case when you create a surface from a revolution, a loft or a sweep.

So, in a nutshell, these two words have nothing in common.

As to your question about how to use this surface as an input in your component, there are two ways.

• You could simply link the ouput of the Revolution to the surface parameter.
  • You can right clic on the Revolution component, select Bake to send the geometry in Rhino. And then reference it in the Surface parameter, as you did for the other ones.

Hello.
Thank you very much magicteddy.

>* You could simply link the ouput of the Revolution to the surface parameter.
>* You can right clic on the Revolution component, select Bake to send the geometry in Rhino. And then reference it in the Surface parameter, as you did for the other ones.

Regarding the first answer…
I connected Revolution to the surface.
Indeed, the object turned green color. However, it cannot be specified as it does not convert to an object with an ID.

Regarding the second answer…
I don’t want to Bake it because of conduct rial-time simulations by creating fluctuating surfaces(point).

Alternatively, is there a way to make the baked object fluctuate in Grasshopper?

Best Regards,

Hi,

After trying your comment, I could set surface as object. Thank you.

>* You could simply link the ouput of the Revolution to the surface parameter.

But it was only one surface. I can’t set tow surface like the original sample file.
Is it possible to define two suface as input data?

Hi,

I could it using “Marge”.
Thank you for your support. This solved it.

Best Regards,

1 Like