A complete UI overhaul of Rhino would be a much welcomed move

Guys, please take nitpicking on each others grammar in a PM. It is not interesting to anybody but you guys.

no, this is ON TOPIC.

If recommendation affects a user’s workflow in a negative way it’s no good and it has to be more personified of an AI solution. Thus, deploying the AI for each user individually, disconnected from the global DB. That then makes sense.

1 Like

The recommendation uses your profile and the profiles of other users as input. Personalisation takes user usage as input.

Don’t worry, there is no point in continuing here. Although it has to do with UI, welcome to 2021. :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, good topic for a “discord” (pun intended)

1 Like

Thank you! We would not need to discuss it if some people here actually realized this.

Indeed.

Although resisting GUI upgrades because of a nostalgic emotion is flawed from the very base, this could be a nice solution, as long as it does not mean too much work or an obstacle/limit to the upgrade.

This post is marked as solved, has 605 entries over more then 3 years.

The topics range from simple icon design colors, from current customisation of the Interface, from future needs, from command-line to coding / scripting / api, …

i think it is very important to discuss those aspects - but this thread / topic is completely overloaded.

@pascal
@wim
please at someone from mcneel - can you somehow split this topic ?

@ all other
would be nice to start single topics with more specific aspects and just post a link to that topic here ?

1 Like

I asked for the UI forum sub-category some time ago. UI topics are in many different places and easily get lost, one of the reasons why people stick to this topic is because they can easily find it.

5 Likes

I think you can get rid of many commands from the main view. What are essential type of commands for most users? I think there are not many differences throughout the different professions. Basically there are common ways to create, modify and analyze geometry. A spiral or a star polygon are so uncommon that you could hide that. Im not against modernizing icons, but I’m against modern minimalistic design in this context. Larger more expressive icons of the important commands. Commands with more diverse options. Do we need an icon for all sort of primitives or could 1 primitive command open a window where we enter what we need? Give important functionality more space and hide very specialized commands. Again its my opinion…

2 Likes

Well shows that the UI is a larger problem than expected… :slightly_smiling_face:

I work in Film/TV. We usually provide our own work machines and software. Though the industry skews heavily to Apple products, you come with what you use be it, Mac, Windows, and the rare Linux. We are essentially groups of freelancers with no industry, corporate, project, equipment or software standards. VectorWorks, Sketchup, AutoCAD, Rhino, Blender, etc., – I know a guy using FormZ – can be found in use at the same time on the same project. More importantly, we come from disparate backgrounds and training. Some like me come from art, some architecture, others from IT and other computer related segments. With differing approaches from “the computer is a stupid tool I’m forced to use” to “the computer is the greatest tool for everything,” the one thing I can guarantee is that my colleagues – or those in any show next door – couldn’t agree on what an improved UI would look like. Such a discussion would look like the Battle of the Somme. Add to that incorporating the wants of those creating Jewelry, Naval Architecture, or the other Rhino disciplines that are meaningless to what I THINK I need. C’mon McNeel, sort it.

My favorite Rhino icon (almost!)

Roadkill

Road

5 Likes

You don’t have to, graphic designers exist to make those decisions for you.

What is your point anyways? It is impossible to reconcile a UI for every user thus no upgrade should be made?

The answer to that is, and always has been customization. Rhino is doing a good job when it comes to it but still not enough and has been falling short the more the years pass.

Also, many of UI issues being discussed here are general to all users, such as performance and systematicity. The whole customization thing in Rhino has become, along the years, an accumulation of patches to solve problems or add functionality, but it is honestly a mess.

Does anyone use this? I have never used it to customize my workspace…

well…, in fact that is how Rhino has evolved entirely. a patchwork of many kinds. but i would say we are in the middle of taking off, it is a time of changing. new/different cpu-gpu paradigms with upcoming SOC, not only on the mac side but also for all the users here are laying down a path for a more unified common technology, playground and a good excuse to rethink and to reevolve.

heading towards the future one has to get some inrun, a few steps back to think and to plan and navigate and… lets say to generate the guts to actually pull it through not shying off from the amount of work and the challenges.

but… as long as it just works it will proceed and you can see that in really a lot of instances, not only in software development. stepping out of proven ground baby steps also means to risk some pain… unfortunately there is no gain with out it.

Yes, my employees. And where is yours?

That’s called false consensus bias…

I don’t need one. I have not made any claims pretending to know what the majority of people ranging from 50 to 70+ care about in Rhinos UI.

Please post specific UI requests or suggestions to new topics.

-Pascal