3D printed Scaffold

I printed a grid scaffold 6x6x6, with pore sizes of diameter 0.8mm however, when it printed the fine detail did not print, it simply printed an exterior wall. Any suggestions how I might achieve my fine, intricate scaffold on a 3D printer ?

Hi @Cian2
That really depends on both the 3D model and (very much) the 3D printer - so with no file and no mention on what you are printing on (FDM, SLA, SLS etc.) it’s very hard to help you.
-Jakob

Hi @Normand thanks for your reply.
The printers are fused deposition modelling and are ultimakers and prusa printers.

Hi @Cian2
So it’s a 6x6x6mm cube with 0.8mm holes in it, or am I misunderstanding? :grimacing: That would be better fit for SLS or DLP, I think. It leaves just ~0.2mm for each of the struts, which is a very small detail for FDM printer, would need a 0.1mm nozzle.
-Jakob

Hi @Normand
Yes 6x6x6mm cube with 0.8mm struts and a pore size so the extruded section of the cube 1mm in diameter. Do you know if it’s possible to detach the head of an FDM printer and attach a fine bio-ink head so essentially a syringe printhead onto an FDM printer ?
Thanks a lot for your help

Hi @Cian2
I think the smallest FDM nozzle you are going to find is 0.1mm - don’t know about Prusa’s or Ultimaker’s options. I’ve never tried such a small nozzle, but if you look at 3D printer forums, they sound to be rather difficult to operate - hard to dial in the flow rate vs. travel speed; and they tend to clog. I don’t have any experience with printing items this small, but my initial thought is, that it’s better left for resin based printers. Maybe one of the many jewelry designers here will have more experience in this field :grimacing:
-Jakob