3D Bin Packing DP3DK algorithm with grasshopper

Greetings,

I´m looking to develop a 3D bin packing algorithm, specifically known as DP3DK algorithm, which performs an analysis on a master cuboid container which could have predetermined dimensions (1000x1200x2200, , 400x300x200, etc). Given this shape I want to find:

• Sub-Cuboids which:
  • Are greater than specified (variable which I can play with) minimum dimensions
  • Divide the master cuboid by whole numbers
  • May be used in combinations of sizes which result in a packing solution with 100% volume utilization

From a set of selected (manually input) sub-cuboids, generate models of all successful packing solutions using the specified sub-cuboids, because not every sub cuboid combination would be succesful since not every combination achieves this 100% of utilization (which is a critical point for this algorithm´s success.)

Here´s an example of an example I found on Baumer´s site of what I want to achieve.
baumer%203d%20bin%20packing01

This is how a succesful manual attempt in Rhino (no grasshopper code) looks like:

As you can see in the previous image, those cuboid shapes on the left are all packed together into a single master cuboid. This succesful attempt was achieved thanks to this predetermined set of cuboids:

• Master cuboid of 1000x1000x1200 mm

• 10 subcuboids of 600x400x200 mm

• 15 subcuboids of 300x200x200 mm

• 1 subcuboids of 400x200x100 mm

• 2 subcuboids of 400x400x500 mm

• 12 subcuboids of 200x300x250 mm

• 16 subcuboids of 600x200x100 mm

I´ve been looking all over rhino and grasshopper forums and still haven´t been able to see anybody achieve something similar to 3D packing (and if someone knows about a solution please let me know :call_me_hand: ). I´ve already tried using Packrat version 0.4 for grasshopper but it didn´t work properly and also using Galapagos for the input and master container´s volume optimization. I attached the grasshopper algorithm along with the packrat version I´m using to this post.

190609_Packing_galapagos.gh (26.9 KB)
packrat04.zip (47.2 KB)

Anyway, if there`s no solution in sight I plan to create my own using python, the Grasshopper API, Rhinocommon and Rhino 3DM.js javascript library to create a custom programmed plugin. In this way I plan to code a program which can be accesed not only from Rhino and Grasshopper but also from any web browser (hence the Rhino 3DM.js mention).

Image taken from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mcneel/rhino3dm/master/docs/images/rhino3dm_rhinologo.png

I`ve also found an npm package by the name of 3D bin package : https://www.npmjs.com/package/3d-bin-packing

And this other repository: https://github.com/olragon/binpackingjs

In conclusion, there are several approaches to this issue:

1. Search for 3D packing Grasshoper algorithm
  2. Code my own solution using Python, Rhino SDK and Grasshopper API.
  3. Build a solution using NodeJS and javascript.

I`m looking for some professional advice on how to approach this issue, so please let me know what you think.

Moved to the Grasshopper category.

Hi Pmora,

This is an interesting Problem.

Did you already find a solution?

Best